Cultivated Reef

Acrylic

SnakPak

Hi everyone! I'm in the process of building a 20 gallon long AIO and I wanted to know where everyone gets their acrylic/plexiglass for the false wall and baffles from? I'd like to get the black acrylic that is about .25" thick without spending $40 on a whole sheet for it. But the stuff that my local hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace) sell isn't black, and to get it that thick I'd have to purchase a 48" x 72" sheet, which costs way more then what I'd like to spend. So where does everyone get theirs from?

Look at estreetplastics.com They have black in many sizes.

Do not buy the stuff at home depot etc, that is extruded acrylic. Aquariums need cast, get something thicker than 1/4"

i would go back to home depot again and take a closer look. if i remember correctly, they sell .25" thick acrylic in 18x20" sheets for 12 bucks.

paint the acrylic black with krylon fusion

masterbuilder
Look at estreetplastics.com They have black in many sizes.

Do not buy the stuff at home depot etc, that is extruded acrylic. Aquariums need cast, get something thicker than 1/4"

Guess you dont listen :)

Carlton'sTank

I just used mine for baffles. If you are making a sump or tank from scratch, then get the real stuff, otherwise home depot brand acrylic will be fine. Tapplastics is a good place for higher quality acrylic.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up finding an 18x24 sheet of .25" thick at Lowes. Home Depot and Ace just had large sheets of it, but there were a couple of sheets left at Lowes. I'm in the process of cutting the acrylic and then I'll be fitting it up before I paint and silicone it in place.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up finding an 18x24 sheet of .25" thick at Lowes. Home Depot and Ace just had large sheets of it, but there were a couple of sheets left at Lowes. I'm in the process of cutting the acrylic and then I'll be fitting it up before I paint and silicone it in place.

why didnt you get lowes to cut it for you? i got glass for mine since you can just paint the glass and its cheaper imo. for 5 baffles of glass i only had to pay $7.00 and they cut them perfectly to the dimensions i needed.

not sure what other lowes...or other employee of lowes do...but the one i went to will only cut for you if you buy that sheet of acrylic. say they only have 24X48" sheets and you want a 12x12, you will buy the whole 24X28" sheet.

not sure what other lowes...or other employee of lowes do...but the one i went to will only cut for you if you buy that sheet of acrylic. say they only have 24X48" sheets and you want a 12x12, you will buy the whole 24X28" sheet.

Thats what the one I went to said as well. They did cut the false wall for me, but I decided to cut the baffles myself just in case I wanted to change their dimensions before I put them in. Good thing I did that, because I did end up changing it a little.

Archived