SaltCritters.com

Is there a silent hang-on skimmer?

pimp4cheddar

Hey Folks,

I just brought a Seaclone Skimmer 100...and it sucks.

I have a 29 gallon tank and I was looking for a skimmer...so I figured I'll buy a $100 skimmer but this Seaclone was horrible. It doesn't work well, it's huge, looks horrible inside my tank(maxijet and big sponge) and it makes a bunch of noise.

Does anyone have any input?

What about those $30-$40 skimmers? like this skimmer

Does anyone have any info or suggestions for a simple hangon skimmer, that's not noisey?

Thanks,

With a skimmer you are never going to get it completely silent. I have an Aqua-C remora its not too loud but it pulls some nasty skimmate

Sorry for the LOLclone. I think most people have owned it at least once (though I never did!).

Look into the Aqua C Remora line. Very quiet for a skimmer and pulls out the nastiest, stinkiest gunk around.

The Remora C's are pretty popular...and I've read great things about them.

Does anyone have any input about the Visi-Jet I listed in the link above?

Over the years I've had a remora, which I considered noisy, and ultimately a Deltec MCE 300. Pricey, but very quiet. Heard good things about octopus skimmers but never owned one.

The Remora C's are pretty popular...and I've read great things about them.

Does anyone have any input about the Visi-Jet I listed in the link above?

Really? I hear most seaclones are quiet...ly sitting at the back of people's garages.

Deltec is solid but expensive.

Remora is PROBABLY your best bet if you're looking for something that can work in your price range... if not... go deltec.

Quiet Skimmer is an oxymoron. I have heard a lot of trash talk on the seaclone over the years, but the thing keeps my water clean, and isn't too noisy. Ive tried various "nano" skimmers and they all sucked. So I run a SC100 on a 20 gal tank, and it does the job for less money. However, I also hear good things about the Aqua C.

Hey pimp,

I don't think anything under $100 provides any more benefit over just water changes. The more expensive skimmers should all be pretty quiet once tuned correctly. The CoralVue Octopus HOB skimmers come highly recommended and can be had from ~$115 for the BH-100, although I would go with ones with the pumps outside the tank (starting ~$135 for the BH-1000). You can probably find a used remora for under $100, though - lots of people have them and they do a good job, just apparently not as good as the newer skimmers from CoralVue and Warner Marine. The Deltec seems overpriced to me.

Hey pimp,

I don't think anything under $100 provides any more benefit over just water changes. The more expensive skimmers should all be pretty quiet once tuned correctly. The CoralVue Octopus HOB skimmers come highly recommended and can be had from ~$115 for the BH-100, although I would go with ones with the pumps outside the tank (starting ~$135 for the BH-1000). You can probably find a used remora for under $100, though - lots of people have them and they do a good job, just apparently not as good as the newer skimmers from CoralVue and Warner Marine. The Deltec seems overpriced to me.

Thanks for the info...I guess I'll save the $40 and not buy the nano-skimmers.

I like the idea of of the BH-1000 with the pumps outside the tank.

That's the main reason I didn't like the Seaclone. It has so much ###### inside the tank: powercord, maxijet, airline, suction cups, foam circle tube...

My tank isn't big enough and looks horrible inside my tank. It takes up almost half the back glass...

Let me clear up what i'm looking for...maybe a skimmer isn't what's needed.

My water quality is GREAT...it's just I have a lot of surface crap...like hair and little specs. Also, my water looks cloudy in the tank.

Would a skimmer clear that up?

Thanks again folks,

surface skimmer (its not a protien skimmer) would take care of that for you, what type of filter are you running. A surface skimmer looks like this and allows the water from the very top to be filtered. I wouldnt buy what I just linked, I just wanted you to see it to get an idea of how a surface skimmer works.

surface skimmer (its not a protien skimmer) would take care of that for you, what type of filter are you running. A surface skimmer looks like this and allows the water from the very top to be filtered. I wouldnt buy what I just linked, I just wanted you to see it to get an idea of how a surface skimmer works.

To be honest...I just took off the hang-on filter I had last week. I just have a heater and powerhead. No filter is on my tank...

I did a water change today so the water quality is good...

I guess I'll be looking for a skimmer with a surface skimmer for a 30 gallon tank. Something like the OCT-BH-300F link

To be honest...I just took off the hang-on filter I had last week. I just have a heater and powerhead. No filter is on my tank...

link

First, I would recommend more flow - one powerhead for 29g is not enough. With more surface flow, that should help remove visible film on the surface. Then get a good HOB skimmer, or a HOB refugium, or setup an overflow to a sump/refugium - lots of options depending on what you want.

Ok, I'm getting in on this one..

You want something that will both skim your surface and keep the nasty crap out of your water colum. Go with the Aqua C Remora with the surface skimmer.

I HATE looking at equipment in the tank, hate it so much I can't even begin to tell you. I have gone to great lengths to hide equipment.

The Remora fits nicely on the back of your tank, the one pump goes into the surface skimmer, you never see it beause the box is black (if you have a black background... I do) It is not really loud, but not silent. I had it next to my office desk for almost 2 years, I barely knew it was on.

Moving on to the more noticeable problems. Take out all the components of the hang on filter, put it back on your tank, throw a bag of carbon in it and nothing else. That will work on your water quality. You can also look into getting some Phosban or other GFO to help keep the water quality in check.

Water movement, at this point, you might want to throw another powerhead on there. I usually stick with Maxi-jet's because they've always been reliable for me, and I beat the crap out of them.

My only other advice for you is read, read, read, read, read, and when you think you've read enough, keep going. If you do this before you buy, you'll save yourself a ton of money on things you don't need. Oh, and NEVER buy a Skilter no matter how good they sound. :)

Thanks Frozen...

I'm going to post a few pics of my tank when I go home for lunch...1-2 hours...

Thanks for the info...

Archived