Coral Vue Hydros

70W MH...what are their limits?

skylsdale

The new rage seems to be the somewhat DIY 70W halide retros. And I'm tempted to dive right into it as well...but I have yet to see the application for which they are being used (as in tank sizes, corals, etc.).

In regards to SPS, does anyone have any suggestions as to what the upper limits of tank sizes would be for this bulb? I've got a 20 gal, and I'm wondering if a 70W MH would be enough...but since I've never seen one in action I'm not sure.

If you were to use this for the Sole lighting on the Tank I think you'd be happier with a 150 or 175. If you don't mind a Magnetic ballast you can get a 175 set up for about 125-150. A 70 watt with a 55 watt Actinic will allow fot a broad range of corals, SPS included.

Thanks Jahkaya. I'm looking into some used 175W retros right now, which will probably suit my needs a little better. I've never seen anyone actually using the 70W so it's hard to gauge if it's going to work.

My opinion is 70w is 70w no matter what size tank, with the exception of the the Glass/water diffusing more light. If you still wanted Clams and Stonies and did not have a temperature issue I would say go with a 250 DE. I feel that all high light corals would do better in a 15 with a 150w than in a 7g with a 70w, providing all water quality and stablity/flow is the same. The 70 would work in a 20, but I would definitely recommend a 55w actinic. You would just be happier with a 175 or even a 250 pendant.

The single greatest factor is cost. I was thinking of a 2x65W Aqualight, but then started reading about all the jazz with the 70W halide and thought, "oh, ANY halide will be better"...and then realized that 70W isn't really all that much. Ideally I'd like to get a 175W over the tank if I can find a good deal on a used setup, but we'll have to see.

You mention getting a magnetic ballast retro for around $125 or a little more...have any links?

that 2x65 aqualight is what i currently have. i must say i'm happy with it. but seeing how the regent fixture for MH is relative simple, i decided to get the 70W, also because higher wattage e-ballast costs significantly more.

have you looked over at the classified section in reef central?

bada bing bada boom!

http://aquaticlight.com/retrofit.html

If you ask them to leave them out the 4400k bulb it's like 63 bucks. Add a PFO reflector and a 60 dollar bulb from HL and it comes to about $150.

This is the best deal I could scrape together, without too much DIY and still using a good quality bulb. Get a 20k XM bulb and no actinic really needed.

Let me know if you find anything better.

Archived