Cultivated Reef

ReefKeeper 2

KJoFan

I was looking into getting a ReefKeeper for my tank and was looking at the ReefKeeper 2. I see on DA's website it's now discontinued. Would it be smart to buy a product that will no longer be manufactured, due to the nature of the product needing updated and whatnot? Any thoughts or comments from people that know more than me about it? :huh:

Are you looking at buying new or used? If new then I'd go with the Reefkeeper Lite, it's a better unit than the RK2 as it's expandable. If your getting used then I wouldn't worry about it and get the RK2. The RK2 doesn't really need updates to run, the one I'm running doesn't have the latest update (the only thing the latest update does is allow you to data log on your comp through RK's software) The RK2 does what it does and there's no real need to update the unit.

I'm looking at buying new. The RK Lite isn't released yet, right? If I were buying right now, I'd probably buy the Elite, eventhough it'd be overkill at this point. But I would probably never outgrow it! :)

Thanks for the input VDub.

wait and get the RK lite. there are three versions availabe ranging in price from $149 up to $279. i think i paid $269 for my RK2 and it wont do have the stuff the RK lite will.

I'm thining about a controller too and have four things to control (dusk/dawn lights, main lights, moon lights and fuge light). Will a RK2 or RK Lite do all four? and even $149 seems like a lot to just replace the clutter of four timers. Then again, here's a picture of my BC14 power connections (and that's only two timers). Maybe $149 is a bargain?

BC14powertimers.jpg

Am I reading it right about the RKLite, that you can only expand to 4 modules. That means by the time you get your probes on there, 1 for pH, temp and ORP probes, and if the possibility will exist, 1 for salinity, 1 for ethernet capabilities, that only leaves one module for devices. So you could only plug 4 pieces of equipment into it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

ETA: I see now that ethernet will not be a possibility with the Lite. Bummer.

your talking abou the outlets to plug in lights pumps etc. thats different then the probes. the version with the ph an orp probes comes with the 8 outlets. its more than just a timer. controls heaters, chillers, monitors ph, orp, temp. controls light, pumps, feed mode, data logging. Safety shutoffs for lights and heaters.

Yeah I know the outlets are different than the probes. But unless I'm reading it incorrectly you're limited to 4 modules. The RKLite 3 comes with 3 modules already (8 outlets included), which leaves you one module for expansion. Which would provide you 4 more outlets or if they come out with a salinity module someday that would be your 4th module. Again, limiting you to 8 outlets. As my tank stands now I would use all 8 outlets, and could actually use 9. So I could get another 4 outlet module, after which I've maxed out my controller, leaving me unable to expand if new features/modules should come along.

well then you should look at the acjr or Aciii then. the Rk lite is more for nano tanks so thats prob why they limit the modules. Either way its still more than the Rk2.

Right, the Lite is geared toward nano tanks. Which is fine, and would probably be fine for me at the moment. I'd just hate to put the money into something that would limit my abilities to upgrade in the future. I think I'll still lean toward the Elite. Cost wise, it's comparable to the ACIII it seems.

Archived