Cultivated Reef

HELP! URCHIN Vs Tang : Urchin 1 : Tang 0

brahm

..This morning when I awoke i found my yellow tang sideways on the ground being held at bay by the spines of my Black Long Spined Sea urchin, I lifted the spines and gently moved the tang away, it swam around (stuggled for a bit) and then found a plac to lie down, every now and then it props it's self up or tries to swim a little. It is still breathing, and it's been about 2 hours since I first found it. I dont' see any puncture marks on it, but once before I cought the tang trying to give one of the sleeping urchins spines a taste. My question is.. How potent is the Urchins sting on a fish? Is there a chance it will live, or chould I be making a little casket for it? Is there anything I can give it to help it out, or does it just need to rest?

Any help would be great.

_____

30gt

20p ls

35p lr

I know the toxins in longspines are very mild for himans, they just make the puncture itch a little. So, I wouldn't be too worried about the Yellow Tang. Watch for signs of infection, i.e. red marks where it possibly got poked. Maybe you could even have the joy of removing some broken spines from the fish. My guess is the fish is a little tramatized at the moment. Wouldn't you be if you tangled with some crazy spike ball in the middle of the night.

Thanks I hope so, I looked over the tang and I don't see any marks where it could have been stabbed, and I don't see any broken off spine tips on the urchin yet..

the people at my lfs seemed to think it would be the "perfect" addition for my tank since it like to eat algie.. and It does really enjoy (or did) going through cave / cavern systems i have setup.. Unfortuntently it went into the wrong cave.. but I am planning on setting up a 100g+within the next 6 months and transfering everything over. (first i need to find 3br+ to locate myself into).

It's now been about 5 hours since I firsted noticed what Happend.. It's still alive and breathing, still has all it's colour, but isn't moving. I've talked to 2 lfss and they both said to look for broken pieces of the spines in the fish but I couldn't see any. I'm hoping it's still just in shock. Maybe I'll try putting a seasweed snack in there for it...

:( it looks like my Tang has past on.... I tried to get the goby to give it mouth to mouth, but that goby wouldn't go for it.. I found some Hermit Crabs trying to get at the poor tang...barelly breathing so i ripped apart my reef and tried to rescue it (it had slipped into a cave beyond my reach).. I have it now resting in isolation..hoping that it will come back.. (it's still not "floating" yet).. but it doesn't look to likely..

Archived