inTank Media Baskets

my gsp have white spots

actnuts

I have had gsp in my tank for about 12 days. They opened up a few days after I added them but for only a couple hours. Each day for the next week they opened up for about two hours each day. For the past several days they haven't opened at all and I have noticed white spots on their openings! What is going on? Any advice is much appeciated.

8.jpg

On another note, my bubble hasn't been opening up all the way.

Chemistry of the tank seems in line.

10.jpg

that is the central color of them.

nothing unusual.

Perhaps there is toxins in the tank, or the lighting is nor right.

I'd say do a few W/C over the next few days and try a differnt lighting placement.

It has been my experience that star polyps are slow to acclimate to new water and light conditions. So, if the store where you purchased them from bad water or considerably less light it may take them a while to fully adjust.k

Thanks for the advice. I am doing the water changes. My biggest concern is that my bubble coral isn't expanding much at all the last few days. If you notice the picture above, the sand polyps next to it are thriving. I was dosing with kalkwasser untill I posted a thread a few days ago asking advice on the subject. It was suggested then that I don't dose because of the livestock in my tank.

What else can I do?

can you give us a bit of background (or a thread) showing what you tank age, params and status of set up is ?

it would really help us to trouble shoot it.

I still say that doing some W/C will be a wonderous move on your part. don't worry about dosing.... chances are something in the chemestery "soup" is off kilter, and dosing is compounding it.

Thanks for the quick response. This link will take you to the website I set up for the tank. My log book is there.

click here

I keep the lights on for 10 hours per day.

I add iodine and magnesium as directed by natureef.

I feed appx twice per week. Brine shrimp and flakes.

Amonia 0

nitrates 7ppm

I was wondering if my bubble and polyps were to close to each other. Someone warned me of toxic warfare between the two?

Thanks for all the help!

nice website.

Simple,

Fast loading,

Concise.

A + fer that d00d ;)

however..........

you are rushing the tank.

I fear a dreaded 3 month crash comming on.

listen to me very carefully.....

SLOW DOWN AND STOP ADDING CRAP TO IT.

that is all for now.

oh and do a few W/c ;)

Thanks Dave.

I noted in my logbook that I was afraid I have too many critters in the tank.

I won't add anything else. Of course, you realize I will not sleep a wink tonight. What the hell is a 3 month crash!!! At what point do you start to have confidence with this adddiction/hobby??

Time for more beer.

6+years....

still I stir out of sound sleep when a powerhead impeller jarrs or jams when a spike in current occurs, or a filter starts sucking in air and "slurping".

;)

read more, lurk more....

3 months is less worrysome if ya are prepared ;)

Knowledge is power.

What size tank?

What EXACTLY are you testing for? What is your Calcium/Alk. at?

What type of Lighting?

Hey don't worry about confidence. I have been alive for 30 years, still pretty sure I am not doing it right...

The tank is an 11 gallon.

I test nitrate, nitrite, ph and amonia.

This is an 11 gallon via aqua the following:

36 watt CF lighting

CPR bak pak skimmer

13 gallons LR

1 rio 200 powerhead

I do not know where the calcium/Alk is at.

I agree with Dave. I would change out 1-2 gallons every week with new salt water that is tank temp. That will take care of all trace elements and keep the water cleaner.

Eventually, I would consider getting ca/alk tests and using a 2 part ca/alk additive if necessary because you have a hard coral in there. You may not need to add ca/alk if you do the water changes.

30 yrs = young wippersnapper :(

hey actus I have the same polyps you have I think! I hear they may be toxic, I read a bunch of threads about a dog who died then about a few people getting numb. do you use gloves?

viejito55 don't sweat it. I love this new hobby and realize the only way to learn more is by trusting the experienced to guide. My tank is still not whole! I NEED HELP!

Archived