inTank Media Baskets

CaO for raising Ca?

egloskerry

I haven't started corals yet, but I will eventually. Is CaO fine for raising Ca levels? I have a pound or two lying around.

CaO reacts to produce CaOH which is slightly soluble and dissolves over time. It would raise alk as well. I just want to know if there would be any negative consequences.

afaik, mixing it with water will produce Ca(OH)2 and heat

just mix it up and treat it like kalkwasser

is it pure CaO?

I meant I'll have to look into what it is. I've heard it here, but have no experience with it.

I can get many raw chemicals pretty cheap, so...

BC29. I'm not doing another chem order for a while, so I would order CaCl2 once I use up the CaO. Also, it'll help with alk, so I won't need any baking soda.

And there's no ice salt in FL. Sucks.

Without referencing the CRC if you add calcium oxide CaO to water is is going to hydrate into calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) kalk) the solubility of calcium oxide is many times greater than that of calcium hydroxide therefore you will just have kalk.

CaO2 + H20 --> Ca(OH)2 all Ca02 will change into Ca(OH)2

Ca(OH)2 (solid) <--> Ca(OH)2 (in soln, Kalk)

any white solid remaning should be Ca(OH)2 (kalk)

according to wikipedia this is an exothermic process (produces heat) and i dont feel like figuring out how much so add it slowly in a pyrex or heat safe container outside with eye protection

or you can buy pickling lime at the store cheaply and you know just what you are getting. I do not know what you got the calcium oxide for but is may not be very pure since it is not food grade and i doubt it is scientific grade

Archived