Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New 186W Nano HQI hood....

trumph

I just posted the photos comparing my old modded hood to the new hood that I bought and have gotten more response than I thought. Seeing that, I figured I would just post them up in a new thread.

Out with the old...a modded 24DX hood from 2005 with a 70W MH and additional fans. Also showing a small ballast for my rear fuge light plus aftermarket moonlights. 70W lens cover and inside covers are removed in this pic.

DSC_0174.jpg

In with the new 150W MH with the dual 18W actinics ($350). Nice lighting but the fans are crappy/loud and near useless. They are just for cooling the hood as they pull air into the very tight lamp enclosure and force that air out through alot of additional holes drilled into the top of the hood...they do absolutely nothing to reduce the tank temp. I find that I have to keep the feeding door open all the time to reduce the condensation on the inside of the hood otherwise the whole inside is dripping. I'm probably going to mod it with a couple of those larger temperature sensing fans that you see in the previous pic and either drill holes into the lamp guard or mount them on both sides of the feeding door for evaporative cooling.

DSC_0507.jpg

This may not be a problem on the 28's because they have the additional 3" or so in the back. This new hood completley covers my older 24DX and doesn't fit the hinges. But I would still recommend it especially for the price...4 out of 5 stars.

i just modded my 24g hood and couldnt fit both 36w bulbs in. i never thought of just leaving them in the stock location like you did. damn. maybe i'll redo it. i ended up with a 36 and a 24. i like that nano tuners hood. it dosnt fit on the hinges though? that sucks.

heres my 24g set up.

DSC01268.jpg

Nice job Jay,

Yours is a newer style hood than mine(my splashguard didn't go all the way to the back) and your hinges are different, so the new NanoTuners hoods would be a direct changeout. I also see that you added the rear fan something that I didn't do. I found that I only needed the two larger fans and never even used the two smaller silver fans that I installed. I just enlarged the slots where I put those temp. sensing fans and they took care of everything.

Nice job, again.

thanks. the rear fan blows air across the surface of the water and keeps my temps way down. it works really good. JBJ actually sells a fan like this now for the 28g.

Archived