Coral Vue Hydros

Quick! how is this water filter?

clownfish1124

HecticDialectics
It is 5 stage filtration. And mine ( which is actually 20,000 gallons) does resemble an ro filter. The movie is really cool too.

lol... 5 stages huh?

So what's that? A big sediment filter, a small sediment filter, carbon, "KDF" (your water smells like sulfur?), and probably gravel ("minerals"... for taste of course). If it had RO it would say it.

You might as well use a brita pitcher. You basically bought a $34 chlorine remover, which isn't necessarily a bad deal, but that's not exactly what you want for water purification

clownfish1124

thanks for the replies! here is a quote from the site about the filtration:

5-Stage Filtration System

Paragon Water Systems use a unique 5-Stage filtration system that combines the cleaning capabilities of Activated Carbon with the new technology of KDF-55.

The first stage consists of a micron filter locked into place, preventing water from forming paths or "channels" along the sides of the unit.

Once the first micron filter has removed any large particles, the water goes through a series of chambers - FIVE STAGES IN ALL.

The media filtration process begins with KDF-55, which uses an electrochemical process to reduce Chlorine and improve taste and odor.

Water passes through progressively finer micron filters as it travels through the unit, to assure removal of particles and to separate the media so that they operate at maximum effectiveness.

The final chamber contains the highest quality Granular Activated Carbon. Water tastes best when aerated with carbon, so this final stage assures that you water is as refreshing as it is clear.

Well if all else fails take it to a LFS and have them check it with a TDS meter.

I don't like that you can't change the filters at all though...I would think that after a year (maybe 2) you'd just have to throw it away b/c the filtration probably wont be working anymore.

clownfish1124

i'll see what i can do about the tds meter. i also want my tap water checked as well (which goes through a huge culligan water softening system) i think we have an ro chamber built in too, but the filter has to be changed. i will try to take pictures ( of the filter) but can't promise anything

The chemicals in the filter will mostly only remove chlorine and voc and organic solvents. but is leaves nitrates and heavy metals like copper so what is the point if you are going to use that seachem prime would be just as good.

Archived