Cultivated Reef

maxijet 1200 for temperary sump

petkingdom619

petkingdom619

can I use a mj-1200 just for a temparary pump on my sump?

I cant add more water up to the overflow unless I have a pump running to start the tank.

will the overflow gph even out to the pump gph?

can I use a mj-1200 just for a temparary pump on my sump?

I cant add more water up to the overflow unless I have a pump running to start the tank.

will the overflow gph even out to the pump gph?

unless you're using a powerful enough pump to overwhelm the capacity of your overflow then it'll just drain at the same rate you're pumping water into the display. Easy indicator if you are pumping more water than your overflow can handle = wet floors :lol:

petkingdom619

its a 60 gallon tank . i know it wont overdo the pump. I meant it the other way , the overflow over do the pump.

Carlton'sTank

MJ 1200 for a return pump? what distance are you pumping the water? Just curious because I am setting up my sump and I am looking for a pump that will be adequate as a return, it needs to pump a total of about 4 feet.

MJ 1200 for a return pump? what distance are you pumping the water? Just curious because I am setting up my sump and I am looking for a pump that will be adequate as a return, it needs to pump a total of about 4 feet.

Mine is roughly 3ft.

Carlton'sTank

Really? Every time I talk about return pumps everyone only talks about mags. I do have an extra mj1200 lying around and that would be cool if I could just buy a nice new ph rather than a pump.

depending on how big your tank, the height it needs to travel, the mj1200 might be enough. keep in mind its only 300gph, and after all the fittings, bends and the height traveled, your probably looking at half that.

petkingdom619

my distance is about 3.5 ft

I just got it hooked up!

Is pretty week but its working.

This is on a 60 gallon and its just temporary until my pump comes in the mail.

im just cycling right now anyways.

I think the 1200 would work pretty well for a 20g or less.

maxijet does make a larger size now that doesnt cost much more.

my distance is about 3.5 ft

I just got it hooked up!

Is pretty week but its working.

This is on a 60 gallon and its just temporary until my pump comes in the mail.

im just cycling right now anyways.

I think the 1200 would work pretty well for a 20g or less.

maxijet does make a larger size now that doesnt cost much more.

hell if you are just cycling and waiting for your pump to come, i would just throw the mj1200 in the tank and let it circulate the water instead of wasting time hooking it up to your sump and getting bare minimum flow.

petkingdom619

Yea I have been doing that with a 900 but I wanted to get all the water in there just to make sure no leaks and it is running fine.

post-35374-1233213671_thumb.jpg

Archived