Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Too big of heater?

90accord

I have a 26gal bow front with a 150w heater, but my heater is starting to take a crap it no longer hold a very consistat temp. I find I am adjusting the heater every to every other day. I have a extra brand new 300W heater and want to know if that is safe to use instead. Will to large of heater cause problems. the room my tank is in is about 64-71 deg. So do I need to but a new heater or can i use the 300w I have.

Its overkill but shouldn't cause you any issues. I keep a 250W in my 29 gallon because I already had it and it works fine. It will cost more to run due to the wattage pulled, but I can't imagine it is all that much more.

it might or might not cost more to run. sure its 300w, but it will take less time to get the water up to temp. and probably run less frequently.

one thing im worried about is over shooting since its 300w. it might turn off when it reaches a certain temp, but the elements is still hot and might heat the water for a few more degrees before cooling off.

one thing im worried about is over shooting since its 300w. it might turn off when it reaches a certain temp, but the elements is still hot and might heat the water for a few more degrees before cooling off.

I am using a 250w stealth heater in my BC29. I didn't buy it for the tank as that would have been overkill. I don't see the temp fluctuations that you mentioned might be possible. Mine keeps my tank between 79 and 80 degrees.

lemme clarify, im not saying all heaters will, but some might.

but like rocket said, if any fault were to happen, ie being stuck on or anything, you have less time to catching it and probably boil the water.

Archived