Cultivated Reef

Poly Filler

Aquapod24_

I read everyone talking about putting some poly filler in their AIO after ditching the sponges. I have an AP24 of course, and I seem to be getting some oily surface film quite a bit. I also am getting a little foam on the sides of the tank and I know this can't be good. Can a few of you post a pic or two showing just how you are putting the filler in the back of your AIO? Mine tends to get wet and drop to the bottom. Thanks in advance.

I read everyone talking about putting some poly filler in their AIO after ditching the sponges. I have an AP24 of course, and I seem to be getting some oily surface film quite a bit. I also am getting a little foam on the sides of the tank and I know this can't be good. Can a few of you post a pic or two showing just how you are putting the filler in the back of your AIO? Mine tends to get wet and drop to the bottom. Thanks in advance.

I built a small basket to hold my poly filler but not sure it is really working well. Take a look. Any comments?

Oh, ya, the sponge above is cut in half and swappped weekly during water changes then rinsed thoroughly to avoid nitrate problems.

Although, whenever InTank finishes designing a media rack for the AP24, I'm going to be using that.

Cut in half? Mine has two sponges that take up the entire first chamber. Do you mean take out the bottom one and leave the top or do you mean take out the bottom one and cut the top one in half? Also how deep is the poly fill to the left of the sponge?

My two sponges are approx. 6" long each...I have two of them that span from the bottom of the first chamber to the top....the surface skim area. Thanks again.

Cut in half? Mine has two sponges that take up the entire first chamber. Do you mean take out the bottom one and leave the top or do you mean take out the bottom one and cut the top one in half? Also how deep is the poly fill to the left of the sponge?

My two sponges are approx. 6" long each...I have two of them that span from the bottom of the first chamber to the top....the surface skim area. Thanks again.

I mean only use half of one if you're going to use it. It fits snugly enough to stay right below the intake grate and helps hold the filter floss in place. Just be sure to cut them the right direction. ;) Then you'll have 4 halves to swap.

I mean only use half of one if you're going to use it. It fits snugly enough to stay right below the intake grate and helps hold the filter floss in place. Just be sure to cut them the right direction. ;) Then you'll have 4 halves to swap.

Ah! Gotcha! ;)

I made a media holder for some 100 micron filter pad that I cut to size. Just pull a pad out and replace it as needed. You can even wash them out and reuse them if you want. I got tired of grabbing the load of floss and watching the detritus/mung float out back into the tank. Plus it drips everywhere.

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0534.JPG

I get my filter pad from the Dr's Foster&Smith

Archived