Innovative Marine Aquariums

Un crusting a piece of 2nd hand equipment

stardrop

I bought a 2nd hand skimmer and it's been out of water for a bit. Not sure it was rinsed before being put away. It's pretty encrused with mineral deposits and salt.

Is it advisable to run it for a while in a bucket with water/vinegar? What percentage to use?

Any advice???

Thanks

the crustyness wont hurt anything performance wise its just ugly to look at but who cares about that

outta sight outta mind i guess

although if you really watned to you could just buy a gallon or 2 of pure vinegar and just let that run through it for a day or so

personally i wouldnt even bother myself with it

One tablespoon per gallon sound about right? I can't remember, hopefully somebody will chime in. It might not take the stuff off, but it will insure that the equipment is safe and clean enough to use.

i still stay just soak it in pure vinegar it wont harm anything if you rinse it out really well and youd have to rinse it off even in the diluted for so why not just go full strength

id soak the pump aleast...if possible....anything w/ moving parts....maybe the plumbing too...if a piece of the old coraline comes off goes into your pump it could jam it or make it wear out faster...or just replace those pieces if possible

the main body and collection cup should be ok w/ just a good FW wash.....

id soak the pump aleast...if possible....anything w/ moving parts....maybe the plumbing too...if a piece of the old coraline comes off goes into your pump it could jam it or make it wear out faster...or just replace those pieces if possible

the main body and collection cup should be ok w/ just a good FW wash.....

WOW...I ran the skimmer in a bucket of FW for a few hours then added some vinegar and let it run over night. You should see all the crap that came out of it. Food particles, chunks of stuff...gross really. Now it's running over night in FW again.

Great thing I cleaned it!!

Archived