Innovative Marine Aquariums

Feelings on Live Sand Collection

lonewolf

I am new to the Reef Aquarium Hobby and have been out of the marine aquarium hobby for about 15 years (things have changed allot!!!) I am doing my research before jumping into an aquarium and am learning as much as I can before deciding what size of tank to purchase as well as what kind of equipment and eventually what kind of livestock I may want to add to my tank.

The question that I am asking here is

Harvesting of Live Sand, I live in Pinellas County Florida which is blessed by being surrounded with salt water on 3 sides, The beaches are wonderful as our many of the barrier islands,

When I am at the beach I enjoy sifting thru the breakwaters and am always astonished at how nice the substrate is. I was wondering if this would be a good Live Sand substitute in place of the "live sand" offered in a bag or LFS, The particular substrate that I am considering is made up of sand and small broken shell fragments. Does this sand if used need to be cured or treated to make it safe for reef aquarium use.

Any input would be great (good or bad) as this is the only way to learn especially from others mistakes

Thanks Rich

the only problem with collecting the sand like you are talking about is that it may be illegal in some areas. I am not familiar with all laws at all beaches, but you may want to check into that before taking the sand.

just a heads up on that one.

Archived