inTank Media Baskets

MH Lighting

bobioden

MH lighting

So, I am growing out of my 12gal Eclipse Nano system. It is actually doing quite well. But I WANT more space.( thanks Jbsabin1 :)

Only space I have is 24", I like the 15gal. 24x12x12. Bigger footprint than the 12 ,but the 20gal looks to fit too. 24x12x16. I have a refugium on order, getting this week, but lights are my concern.

I now run 2x32w on the 12. I want at least 175w MH and some actincs to suppliment on the new tank.

The set-ups I want range from a PLO system of $500.00. to a CSL 175w with 55w actinics, which is still $487.00.

So I would like suggestions. I want to keep any kind of SPS, LPs, and clams, in the system.

So what are good light choice?

I thought of the 3x55w CF, but really want to go MH this time. I don't want to get something and wish I had something else. So anyone have any suggestions???

I also have no desire to BUILD a canopy, the thought just escapes me. And I really don't know my options from there. I would like a canopy, with lights. Where are they???

Don't get me wrong, I have searched, and searched, but am still VERY confused. Anyone with MH experience please help out.

Any local places to buy MH??

Thanks, Bob

Sounds like your right on the money. I dont know what you have locally, but I doubt you will find what you are looking for. Marine-Depot or Reeffanatics should carry what you need. I decided against the supplimental actinics on my 20H, and just got a 175 at 14,000K. Plenty of blue. If that would be okay with you, I would recomend sunlight supply or PFO. Their lighting systems are modular. You choose a reflector (DIY spider, double ended, mogul base, standard base, etc) and combine it with the ballast of your choice. The best thing to do is buy seperates, because then you can get an e-ballast like blueline or icecap, and choose whatever reflector you want...and swap out parts later if you want to upgrade, as well as being able to run any bulb you choose at peak efficiency. This also means a seperate ballast for the power compacts should you decide to go with them, but more flexible in the end. Should I decide to upgrade my lighting to a 400watt, all I have to do is swap out the ballast on mine and I'm set.

A few months ago I set up a tank with one of PFO's "Mini HQI pendants" and I can't say enough good things about it. The Aqualine-Buschke "10,000" bulbs actually burn at 13,000K, so they look great with no actinic suppliment.

The ballast is very high quality - it was my only MH that started normally when I was on "noisy" generator power for a few days during the hurricane.

The reflector is lightweight and very efficient. It's also only 12" long and 8" deep, so it leaves you with room to work.

The 150 watt is about $299

The 250 watt is about $325

I got mine at www.marinedepot.com and the service was great.

Archived