Top Shelf Aquatics

to dose, or not to dose?

scubs

i gotsa question for the pro reefers.

my calcium level has been around 280-320 while my KH 10-11 . My tank got out of the cycle recently and i added CUC only.

Should i worry about the calcium now? or when i get corals?

I do have one scarlet hermit and emerald crab, and i plan to get a skunk too. i know they require calcium to molt, so are my levels acceptable?

i just did my first water change 25% with catalina island sea water

As I recall its iodine that makes them molt. You will not need to dose until you have corals that are taking up the Ca in your water. Wait until right before you get corals, dose until your Ca is at about 400+ and then after you put corals in test for two weeks both dKH and Ca then dose accordingly.

Thanks guys, I wont dose anything now then. I was worried that low calcium levels will somehow interrupt the molting of the crabs since their exosceleton is made of calcium?

I've only done one water change so far. Right after the tank cycled, around 25% and I plan doing 10% water changes every week.

I disagree. Even if had no LPS, clams, or SPS, I'd still keep my calcium, alkalinity, pH, and magnesium levels at appropriate levels for calcification. There are many organisms in your tank that will calcify, such as snails and (important to many reefers) coralline algae. Calcification will be negligible at that calcium level (although your alk is fine).

I'd dose it to normal levels (which is super easy). Your tank will not be difficult to maintain CA/Alk wise because you don't have hard corals to ravage the available calcium and alkalinity (although, again, some organisms will consume them). Note for the responses that water changes will do the trick: that depends on what salt you use. Some salts (like my preferred Instant Ocean) are deficient in calcium and need to be supplemented.

I disagree. Even if had no LPS, clams, or SPS, I'd still keep my calcium, alkalinity, pH, and magnesium levels at appropriate levels for calcification. There are many organisms in your tank that will calcify, such as snails and (important to many reefers) coralline algae. Calcification will be negligible at that calcium level (although your alk is fine).

I'd dose it to normal levels (which is super easy). Your tank will not be difficult to maintain CA/Alk wise because you don't have hard corals to ravage the available calcium and alkalinity (although, again, some organisms will consume them). Note for the responses that water changes will do the trick: that depends on what salt you use. Some salts (like my preferred Instant Ocean) are deficient in calcium and need to be supplemented.

+1

I bought a bag of "Oceanic" Salt. I heard it's high in Calcium. I will do a water change this weekend and see if the calcium will go up.

I disagree. Even if had no LPS, clams, or SPS, I'd still keep my calcium, alkalinity, pH, and magnesium levels at appropriate levels for calcification. T

And regular water changes with a decent salt mix should provide this, without fail.

Ummm.. Ok? Bully for you? OP is still cycling their tank and Ca levels are a bit low but not alarming. Alk is the more important one as it promotes stable pH but it will be covered with decent salt and water changes at this point so why make extra work? Unless you are in this for the mad scientist chemistry set part of testing and dosing...

TeamGroupKiko
And regular water changes with a decent salt mix should provide this, without fail.

What about if i get my sw from the lfs?? i have a 20L and i do 5 gallon water changes every sunday, Should i dose or are water changes enough??? Thanks ahead of time...

It all depends on your livestock. My tank was fine with soft corals and a few LPS. When I added SPS I had to start dosing. Even if you buy your water from a LFS you still need to test.

it will take a while for you raise the calc level to 400ppm + with regular 10% water changes and thats assuming nothing in the tank is consuming the calcium as well. assuming the OP's water is at 280ppm and replacing it with water with calc level of 400ppm. it would take 40 weeks just to raise the calc close to 400ppm.

i would not argue that doing water changes does help, but in the OP's case, relying on 10% water changes to raise his calc is kind of far fetch

Archived