Top Shelf Aquatics

Pump ?

cichlidtx

I'm setting up my 1st saltwater tank, a JBJ 12dx that a friend gave me. It was missing the return pump. I know from my reading that most people upgrade the pump to a MJ900. I have a few questions:

1. Is a MJ1200 to much flow? I was going to put two outputs to direct flow to both sides of the tank.

2. My cube has 4 chambers in the rear with the chamber measuring 3 1/8", The pump measure 3 1/4". I can trim an 1/8" off the input to make it fit, but will be tight.

3. Should I just use a MJ606 and use another pump to increase flow. I was not wanting to add another pump to the viewing area.

I getting close to setting it up but I want to make sure I do it right the first time.

Thanks,

:welcome: to N-R.com

IMO, the MJ1200 is not too much flow for a 12 gallon, but it can be too much heat. It's 65gph more than the MJ900 but it is also 11.5 Watts more.

Scott, thanks for the welcome. I've been reading on here for a few months and have found some great info. I understand the concern about the heat but maybe it will be enough to keep the tank at the correct temp. I will be installing some larger fans in the hood on seperate switches to help with heat. The only reason for choosing the MJ1200 is because I already have one. But if the MJ900 is a better choice then I will buy it. Thanks again for the help. Anyone else?

Scott, thanks for the welcome. I've been reading on here for a few months and have found some great info. I understand the concern about the heat but maybe it will be enough to keep the tank at the correct temp. I will be installing some larger fans in the hood on seperate switches to help with heat. The only reason for choosing the MJ1200 is because I already have one. But if the MJ900 is a better choice then I will buy it. Thanks again for the help. Anyone else?

Just 2 more cents: Since you already have the MJ1200, I'd go ahead and give it a try, if it's too hot, then switch.

Archived