ReefCleaners.org

Kalk not keeping up

maxijazz

Hi, I started using kalkwasser in my top off water, 2 gallons lasts about four days. I tested tonight and my results were

Alk 7.5 dkh

Calcium 340.

What can I do to get this up. Should I also dose liquid Calcium and buffer or should I try to make the kalkwasser more saturated. Using three big teaspoons for two gallons (seachem kalk).

My tank has two clams ( growing very fast lots of white new growth ) and lps and softies.

The Propagator

I hate kalkwasser for that very reason.

I dose calcium and alkalinity separately. I use baking soda for alkalinity and pure calcium chloride dihydrate for my calcium ( it come in many forms but you want the purest and with lowest bromide count). I am using old stock Dow flake at the moment. I had been using Swimway calcium made for swimming pools.

But if your new to aquarium chemistry I would highly suggest sticking with something like kent marine liquid calcium, or seachem liquid calcium.

thanks prop for getting back to me. So you think i need to go back to dosing seachem liquid calcium. If i do is there any point continuing to use the kalk, will it help, because a bottle of seachem reef complete doesnt last long.

Even if you use vinegar to make a super saturated Kalk mixture sooner or later it won't keep up with the demand if you have a large number of stonies so you'll have to make up the difference with 2-part :)

thanks guys think Ill keep with the kalk and 2 part for the minute. Do ye add the two part at any certain time i.e lights on or off, or does it make any diffence. Also how do ye rate c-balance ( thats wat im using ).

If you can dose twice a day or more to break up the micro spike you will get from pouring the solution into the tank. Also if you can pour it into an area where it has a chance to dilute before hitting any corals else you can end up burning them because there will be a pH spike in the area you dump the solution in.

You could also get a couple of tupperware containers and a couple of Tom's Aquatics Aqualifter pumps and a couple of timers and automate your dosing. Only thing to watch out for is the back syphon on the pumps which means you will need to keep them higher than where you are putting solution into the tank and the containers.

I’m doing the same thing, I’m dosing with Kalk to help with a problem of Dino’s. I am also trying to raise my Alc to help with the same problem. I’m dosing twice a day Alc, and it never really stays at a high number. My numbers for Alc will be ok for half the day, around 7 to 8 then drops off the chart later, some times to 6. My question is what could be killing my Alc? I only have 2 fish, and some soft & hard corals. Sorry for jacking this post!

Have your levels DROPPED since you started using Kalk or are you trying to raise your levels with Kalk? If you are going to use Kalk correctly you must first set your params to the desired levels with something like a 2 part solution, then use the Kalk to MAINTAIN.

For instructions on 2-part just listen to Prop. I've trained him well ;)

The Propagator

No I said no PDA what so ever.

I want my ring back damn it !!!!

( holy sheet I bet you a thousand bucks there are people reading this right now who actually think we are gay :HAHA )

The Propagator

Jesus man !!

You let a guy touch your azz one time and suddenly your gay.

He BEGGED for Christs sake !

:haha:

I am sure Glenn will appreciate that. :D

Archived