Cultivated Reef

Need help with my Hydor Koralia 1

Kimberly63

I got a K1 used from someone and he used it for like 3 months then upgraded his tank and equipment. This thing is in nice shape and didn't even have a chance for coraline to settle on it. Anyway I put it in my 10 gallon tank and I turn it on and my corals barely move. I put my hand in front of it and I barely feel any water movement. The propeller is working fine but the flow doesn't seem to be that great. I'm letting it soak right now in case there is gunk inside. Any advice? How is the flow on one of these?

a k1 in a regular 10g would cause a sand storm if it was working properly. you most likely wanted a k-nano.

the koralia's flow is a wide dispersed gently flow, unlike what cones outa a maxijet nozzle or similar.. but as stated, something isn't right. the koralia comes apart, twist the to halves apart for faster cleaning if you think thats the issue

gulfsurfer101

Also the proppeller comes out when you get it opened, you might also want to check to see if you have any buildup of any kind on the magnet slowing the rotation down.

I removed the impeller and I didn't see a lot of buildup so maybe it's inside? it has brown algae or maybe cyano buildup inside everything so I'm just running it in a container of vinegar/water mix now.

the pump internals are sealed. the only moving part is the impeller. you can clean that tiny cavity out with some q-tips.

assuming you have the impeller back in the pump and its running in say a 5g bucket, you should have some decent water movement in it.

Archived