Coral Vue Hydros

Question about tunze 9002

mynicereef

Hi i finally got around to installing my tunze 9002 skimmer and stevie t cup and media rack in my rsm .Ok so everything is in and working but i adjusted my skimmer i think i have it right now but im getting alot of wet skimmate and before installing this skimmer the original was pulling out good skimmate( I only upgraded the skimmer because the tunze is much quiter) My question is this normal during the breakin period with the new skimmer and how long before it starts skimming properly

thankyou in advance

The tunze produces a wet skimmate. It should be tea like, brown in color and very wattery. It does not pull thick skimmate like other skimmers or the stock RSM unit.

Give it a week or two to break in, skimmers do not work out of the box. It is all going to depend on what you have in the tank.

The bubbles are always going to be clear, the skimmate rides on the top of them. When organic waste is collected, it will ride up the tube, those top bubbles should be a little darker.

I definetly have it stocked heavy i have lots of soft corals and lps and 5 fish 3 clowns 1 royal gramma and yellow watchman goby i actually never really started a thread but going to post some pics soon

Thanks for the info and thanks again for the great packing and awesome cup and media rack!!

also a skunk cleaner and snails

I will give it some time to break in and buy the way im lovin that there is barely any noise now i can finally sleep lol

Remind me again how long you have had the new skimmer.

The noise is amazing, I forget sometimes how loud the stock skimmer was until someone brings it up again.

You're welcome and enjoy. Once it breaks in it should pop out skimmate daily. I empty my cup maybe once a week, sometime every other.

I had a problem when I put my Tunze 9002 in my Max it would fill the skimmer cup with tank water in a matter of minutes.

It turned out that the top plate screw threads were oversized for the blue screw and the air regulation wasnt working cause of it, But Roger Vitko from Tunze USA replaced my top plate and the skimmer works good now.

Tunze has good customer service and if there is a mechanical problem Roger will sort it out.

There is a Tunze forum at Reef Central so if your skimmer doesnt start working within 2 weeks I'd get in touch with Roger.

I had mine set up for about two months (it is being moved into my sump now, but the sump isn't quite set up yet) and I never got dark skimmate. Just light. When I first got it my tank was in the midst of a crash and the tunze helped it recover nicely.

Remind me again how long you have had the new skimmer.

The noise is amazing, I forget sometimes how loud the stock skimmer was until someone brings it up again.

You're welcome and enjoy. Once it breaks in it should pop out skimmate daily. I empty my cup maybe once a week, sometime every other.

I fired up my Tunze (with your collection cup) 3 days ago. It took about 3 days to get it tuned in. I'm in good shape now as I emptied about 2 tblsp of Chai Tea lookin' stuff...but, it didn't smell anywhere near as good as the real Chai Tea... :lol:

One thing I've noticed quickly is the Tunze is very sensitive to water level variances.

So, far...I'm happy with it. I have evidence that its' working and it is very quiet which is great.

oh good, it is working. Three days is still very early, it will start to produce more in the next two weeks.

It is very sensitive, another reason to invest in an ATO down the road if you do not have one. Once you get it tuned in don't mess with it, it is hard to find that sweet spot again.

It is very sensitive, another reason to invest in an ATO down the road if you do not have one.

I have yet to see any kind of nano skimmer that ISN'T very sensitive to water level.

Archived