Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I dropped my salinity to 1.018 to fight off ick and parasites...............

Ytouf

So I got a clown and it had like 4-5 little ick-like white dots on him so I took him out of the tank. I have now dropped the salinity to 1.018 to fight off the ick and kill it in the tank even though it was only present for like 30 hours. Is there anything else I can do? How long should I keep salinity that low? My 3 hermits which are all that is left in there seem to be fine, and I don't have any corals yet. I got my liverock from a 3 year old tank with tons of coraline on there so I think I should be ok. How does 1.018 for about 4 days sound?

Maybe I'm taking the wrong approach to this problem. I am trying to make sure that my tank does not have ich anymore, I gave the fish to a new home. I'm concerned with removing all traces of ich from my tank. I currently just have 3 crabs and the live rock in there. So I will pose a question: What should I do to make sure my tank does not have ich in it?

Feeding garlic to the fish fights off ich. I used it and it cleard up a totally infested royal gramma in about 3 days. Just use powed or crush some up, and mix with flake of frozen food 3:1 with more food then garlic. I belive in this method although many people don't, it's worth a try.

gargoyleexotics

You need to keep the tank fish free for 4-6 weeks. Without a host the ich will eventually be gone from the tank.

For more info on the lifecycle of marine ich:

C-Diddy: treating the tank itself won't sure the ich. Basically, this is a systemic treatment that, when ingested, makes the fish taste like crap. (Scientific sentence, that) Without a host that it can stand to stick onto, the ich will die off. However, the lifestage of tis pest is 28-30 days, start to finish, so, keeping the tank "host free" (read-fish free) for than period of time should do the trick. ;)

That is, unless you like the smell of garlice water, which shouldn;t hurt a thing, chipotle man.

I'm not a flamer (haha...pun-bait laid down) on the subject of tanks, etc, but if you can't wait 30 days for your tank to be happy for your next inhabitants, think again.

Liken it to only airing out your garage for a few minutes next time you leave the car running inside with the door closed.

• 2 weeks later...
CalciumOverdose

when it comes to a marine tank problem, prevention is the best cure..

hyposalinity, garlic, copper, formalin, FW dip, etc. are all temporary solutions.

its plain and simple, if your fish is sick, then your doing something wrong. dont blame it on the ich. :)

it takes a good start, being patient, practice, and a good marine diet, to prevent ich.

give your fish a variety of food, we all cant eat chicken all day you know. actually, cancel that, i have gone a week eating chicken, but got tired of it eventually..

keep an eye on your water parameters, temperature and salinty are very important.

if your patient, and waited till reccomended cycle time, then ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate shouldnt be a problem, but its always good to know it.. :)

good luck

Archived