inTank Media Baskets

Sump emptied and left skimmer pump high and dry

Grendel0501

I started up my overflow siphon today , and plugged in all the goodies from the sump.

Problem is , I hadn't figured out that the sump had to pump up 2-3 gallons to get the overflow properly flowing.

The skimmer pump was left in a dry area and died.

Is the skimmer pump now dead for good?

I'm guessing it is. :(

If so , I'd like to begin a what replacement pump for a "220g coralife super skimmer?" thread. :D

Could I throw a octupus on there and increase the efficiency of the skimmer?

wups :o You can try a different pump but I believe most skimmers are sized to match a pump designed for it. It may work but don't count on it being more efficient, may be less.

just find out what pump the skimmer had and find one that closely matches it in terms of flow rate in gph and head loss rating and has a needle wheel or is moddable, and of course make sure it will run submersible and has the appropriate size fittings or at least are adaptable

may be easier to just find out what pump you have and replace it with the same one honestly

my 65 model Coralife uses a Rio 1100 FYI

The coralife 120 and 220 use the same pump. They run about $40 bucks plus shipping.

The original owner did alot of modding to the pump which makes the loss worse , but he said he would help mod out a new pump.

He also suggested trying something besides the stock parts , he said the body should be able to handle a powerful skimmer pump.

Can someone suggest some?

I figure I could get a Octopus replacement pump and kick the crap out of the original.

I can't find any info on the GPH of the original pump.

I'm trying to match the Octopus model with that , but I'm not having any luck finding the originals specs. I would take a pic of the pump but it looks pretty standard and the casing is missing , I'm guessing that's where the info would have been.

Can anyone help me out here?

No one has tried replacing the pump on these skimmers with something other than the stock pump?

Try a Rio 8HF HyperFlow Pump....

I believe the stock pump for the SS220 is a rio 3100... puts out like 500gph or somethin... the rio 8hf is 550.

Try a Rio 8HF HyperFlow Pump....

I believe the stock pump for the SS220 is a rio 3100... puts out like 500gph or somethin... the rio 8hf is 550.

Awesome thanks...

Wait , the 3100 puts out 900gph , is the 500gph what the pump puts out after changing the impeller to a needle wheel?

The hyperflow , does it make a good skimme pump? I'm guessing it would need some mods.

look at the impellar, impellar well, inlet and outlet of the rio hyper flo...a crappy skimmer pump to be certain.

for the cc220, as you suggested, you could probably use a mesh modded cheap otp 2000 or 3000 (octopus) pump and blow that thing away, as long as the neck size can accomodate the air.

what is the diameter of the neck in the collection cup?

Archived