mkregs

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you give us a full tank shot?

I'll get some pics posted soon.

Very nice, loving the acans. Tank looks nice and healthy :D

Thanks

My Vortech MP20 arrived today (thanks to Stan for coordinating the purchase). Installation was easy. Reef Crest mode is awesome. My LPS are loving it and hopefully my lone SPS frag (Monti Cap) will love it too. I had to work with the speed a little as it can beat the crap out of your corals in a tank as small as a BC29, but it's easy to adjust the intensity to the right level. It looks so much cleaner than the 2 K1s I had in there. I know it's going to perform better than the K1s as it immediately dusted off some debris from my LR and substrate. It was pretty expensive, but I'm ok with that as it really seems to be a great quality pump.

I'll get some pics posted soon.

Thanks

My Vortech MP20 arrived today (thanks to Stan for coordinating the purchase). Installation was easy. Reef Crest mode is awesome. My LPS are loving it and hopefully my lone SPS frag (Monti Cap) will love it too. I had to work with the speed a little as it can beat the crap out of your corals in a tank as small as a BC29, but it's easy to adjust the intensity to the right level. It looks so much cleaner than the 2 K1s I had in there. I know it's going to perform better than the K1s as it immediately dusted off some debris from my LR and substrate. It was pretty expensive, but I'm ok with that as it really seems to be a great quality pump.

Post some pics of how you have it positioned....also, am I reading that you have K1's for sale for REALLY REALLY cheap? :-)

PS...what lighting are you running?

Post some pics of how you have it positioned....also, am I reading that you have K1's for sale for REALLY REALLY cheap? :-)

I'll get some pics up soon. I have it positioned on the left side of the tank in the center and about 2/3 of the way up.

Oh, about the K1s, I don't know if I'm selling yet as my brother might want them.

PS...what lighting are you running?

I have stock lighting.

Thanks for the nice comments...

I picked up a couple more corals last night.

DSC00195.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

Sorry about the blurry pics. The duncan isn't fully extended yet as it's just waking up.

Here's a FTS.

DSC00202.jpg

Kind of a crappy morning...when the lights came on, I saw the pep shrimp, cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, and six line wrasse swarming around something. Unfortunately, it was my dead purple firefish. :angry: The firefish was healthy and eating last night, but I noticed the six line wrasse picking on him a little. My guess would be that the six line did him in (fargin bastige!!!). I checked my water params this morning just in case and everything was great, so it was definitely a homicide.

Also, I've had the MP20 in the tank for a few days now. Simply put...it's frickin sweet!

Stopping by to see how ur tank is doing as well, and it appears u had a death in the family! sorry about ur firefish! It sucks when one night they seem fine and the next morning they are gone. Other thank that setback how is the tank coming along? Good it looks like...

• 3 weeks later...

Your tank is still looking good. I need to update my tank info. 2quick questions.

1) Is that an anemone in the top picture? If so how is it doing under the PC lighting?

2) I just added some frogspawn to my tank and it is not very green, my LFS said it should green up after sometime under the lights. Did you have this happen with yours

Your tank is still looking good. I need to update my tank info. 2quick questions.

1) Is that an anemone in the top picture? If so how is it doing under the PC lighting?

2) I just added some frogspawn to my tank and it is not very green, my LFS said it should green up after sometime under the lights. Did you have this happen with yours

The coral in the top pic is a Duncan. I took the pic after it was just added to the tank. I'll have to post another shot as the first one didn't do it justice (the duncan and my frogspawn are far and away my favorite corals).

Sorry I can't help you with your anemone question as I don't have one.

About my frogspawn...it was full of green with purple tips when I bought it and it has maintained its coloration for as long as I have owned it.

Since I'm typing this and haven't updated in a while, I might as well list updates:

Added another Acan frag.

Blue Xenia

Trumpet Coral

Green Monti Cap

2 Ric polyps.

Sunburst Anthias

Both of the Monti Caps appear to be doing great (they are both placed in the top 1/3 of the tank and are getting a nice variable breeze from the MP20). My 3 Acan frags, Trumpet Coral, and Blue Xenia are on the sandbed and are looking very healthy. My frogspawn has new heads growing off the back (I counted 6).

I can't complain about BC29 stock lighting for health and growth of corals I have as mine are healthy and I have seen growth in many of them over the short time I have had the tank running. I don't necessarily want my stuff to grow at lightning speed, so I haven't yet seriously considered more powerful lighting. However, it would be nice if stock lighting would look a little more blue when both the 10k and actinics are on. The colors would pop a little better then. I'm really using my Montis as a gauge. If they start to turn tan/brown, then I'll know there is a lighting issue. As a matter of fact, both Montis had great color when I bought them, but were a little pale around the edges. Since they have been in my tank, the color/flesh has extended around the edges. That would indicate to me that they are happy with the lighting/flow they are getting.

Everything is looking good. Sorry about the firefish. Gonna rethink keeping the 6 line???

Thanks...I think I'll keep the 6 line. Right now, I think I have a good mix of fish.

The YWG spends his time moving substrate out of his cave.

The Anthias swims in and out of the holes and caves in the rockwork and minds its own biz.

The Perc and 6 Line actually hang out a lot together and have stopped with the territorial non-sense towards each other. I didn't expect that as I thought for sure my 6 line had bastard syndrome, but those 2 actually seem to like each other.

Yeah, I think that any future additions are in "danger" from a 6 line that has an already established territory (read the whole damn tank here) though. Current inhabitants that have been accepted are probably safer.

Yeah, I think that any future additions are in "danger" from a 6 line that has an already established territory (read the whole damn tank here) though. Current inhabitants that have been accepted are probably safer.

The good thing is...I'm done adding fish. I only planned on adding 4~5 to begin with, but have decided to stop at 4. So, hopefully, the 6 Line doesn't develop an attitude with the current livestock.

nice tank "mkregs"

i just have a question for you about the tunze skimmer if you are still using it. how did you set this up together with the "InTank" media basket??? i mean what is the orientation you have it at...which side is the skimmer on??? also....what kind of skimmate are you getting....is it a lot??? i have the same tank and running both the tunze skimmer and media basket and im not really getting good skimmate with 4 fishes. im running the basket full of chaeto and until now i cant get rid or at least lower my nitrates.

thanks!

nice tank "mkregs"

i just have a question for you about the tunze skimmer if you are still using it. how did you set this up together with the "InTank" media basket??? i mean what is the orientation you have it at...which side is the skimmer on??? also....what kind of skimmate are you getting....is it a lot??? i have the same tank and running both the tunze skimmer and media basket and im not really getting good skimmate with 4 fishes. im running the basket full of chaeto and until now i cant get rid or at least lower my nitrates.

thanks!

Thanks for the nice comment!

About the skimmer/media basket config...you can go to the inTank website for Steve's recommended config. In my setup, I have floss on the top, macroalgae in the middle and Chemi-Pure on the bottom rack. You asked about which side the skimmer is on...The skimmer is in chamber 2 magnetically mounted to the wall between chambers 2 and 3. The media rack is right next to the skimmer in chamber 2 and receives all of the overflow from chamber 1. The Tunze skimmer is very sensitive to water level, so you'll want to make sure your water level remains at or very close to the water line on the outside of the skimmer casing. To answer your question...yes, I am getting skimmate, but not as much as a month or so ago as I have been doing weekly water changes for the last handful of weeks.

About your nitrate problem:

Are you changing your water on a regular basis?

How often are you feeding your fish/corals?

How old is your tank? What are your nitrate test results?

Just curious...are you using the stock BC slide-in filter in Chamber 1?

If using floss, are you changing it out on at least a weekly basis?

Is the stock sponge still in use in chamber 3? If so, are you rinsing it out at least on a weekly basis?

thanks "mkregs"....

here are some backgroud about my tank....

- weekly WC of 5 gal(RO/DI+Instant Ocean)

- tanks was strated Dec 08 so about 4 months old

- took out sponge in chamber 3 and put a 1/2 unit of ChemiPure Elite

- the media basket is with chaeto only

- still using the stock filter catridge in chamber 1...should i get rid of it and just use filter floss on top of media rack?

- i feed my corals and fish 3x a week only

- my N03 reads between 5-10 ppm even after a WC.

- im running a Phosban Reactor with RowaPhos 24/7 for about a month now.

....trying to get rid of my N03 and P04 and could not do it. i cant get any good skimmate from my tunze skimmer. i have the water level at 3/8" below the mark....should i raise to be exactly on the mark?? it's just that after putting all these things in my tank to get rid of excess nutrients...seems like nothing is working. :angry: my GHS problem is slowly taking over my tank. thanks for any help you can give me.

- still using the stock filter catridge in chamber 1...should i get rid of it and just use filter floss on top of media rack?

Absolutely! Those stock filters restrict flow and I believe you get a better surface skim without them. Floss on the top shelf of your media rack is the way to go.

i cant get any good skimmate from my tunze skimmer. i have the water level at 3/8" below the mark....should i raise to be exactly on the mark??

You should try to keep your water level right at the mark on the skimmer. Daily top-off directly into chamber 2 will help. If you're not getting good foam production, just play with the adjuster until you get there. If you have clear bubbles overflowing into your cup you have it set too high.

BTW...your nitrate levels are not nearly high enough to be concerned. It looks like you're doing all the right things. If you keep up with your water changes, you should be fine. Just make sure you're not feeding your fish any more than they will eat. When I feed my fish, I put a little bit of food in at a time to make sure the fish are consuming it rather than it settling on the LR or substrate.

Scott Riemer
ok thanks....

i guess the only thing i need to do is get some filter floss ;)

thanks for the advice....

Did somebody mention filter floss?

IMG_1327.jpg

Archived