ReefCleaners.org

Setting up a 30long today

MWehr76364

Not really new to the hobby here but this tank is a whole lot bigger than my little 6 eclipse that I have running now. I am setting up a 30long today. A friend of mine is breaking down his 75gal salt that he has setup for about 2years and im getting his LS, Water, about 70lbs of rock and a backpak skimmer. I already have a heater for the tank. My question is do I need to have a filter on there? I seriously doubt that I am going to put any fish in there as of right now. I want to make sure that I can monitor this tank and keep everything alright before I throw some fish in there. Also what lights do you all reccomend for this tank as I will not be using halides? And I dont have any lights for it as of right now. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Yes you do need a filter, but you are getting 70lbs of filter from your friend (I'd use about 45lbs of it). LR and LS are your filter; the skimmer will help too. I think a 1" to 1.5" sand bend should serve you well.

You’ll need some flow, so I'd recommend a couple of powerheads and a power HOB filter (with the original sponges and cartridges removed). In my HOB, I run SeaGel (a mix of carbon and phosphate remover) in a media bag.

I'm assuming that your tank is 36” long. There is no real rule as to how many PC Watts per gallon you need, but since you have a long tank and not a high tank, more light will get to the bottom. A 96W PowerCompact SmartLite would be the minimum light that I’d be looking at. A 192W Coralife Aqualight should be a good choice.

Archived