Innovative Marine Aquariums

Undergravel filter ?

Paulc

Help... I need some advice. I have no experience with salt water systems but would really like to try to build a nano reef system.

30G

Juwel powerhead 1000 litres/Hour

T5 lighting

LR( ? lbs)

LS (? lbs)

Clown fish 2

shrimp 2

snails

Corals (later when I'm feeling brave)

I have an undergravel filter that I can use with two air lifts. The question is should I use this to increase water circulation and a oxygen content ? I plan to use the LR and LS for biological filtration.

many thanks

That powerhead produces flow less than 265gph; I don’t have any experience with the brand, but for flow and random currents, I’d get two. I’d also add a power HOB filter for even more flow, breaking the water’s surface, a place to add media in a media bag

However, you should take out the sponges and such that come with the HOB filter because they will become a biological filter and produce a lot of nitrates in such an oxygen rich environment.

I recommend 45lbs of LR and a 1 inch to 1.5 inch sand bed. Lastly, I wouldn't use the underground filter.

You shouldn’t need one. You could wait to see if your water changes are keeping your nitrates in check; if not, add a skimmer and start dosing with B-Ionic.

Sounds like a Protein Skimmer might not be right for the set up I am trying to achieve. I was hoping to use partial water changes to maintain trace elements and correct PH.

Don’t rule out a skimmer entirely; I just doubt that you “need” one. You are correct, until you add more than a couple of corals (and feed filter feeder foods), water changes alone should be able to reduce excess nutrients as well as maintain buffers and trace elements. BTW – if you get a skimmer, (along with dosing B-Ionic) I’d still recommend weekly partial water changes to help replenish buffers and elements.

Thanks for the advice Seabass. I'm trying to achieve a set-up that will be relatively easy to maintain . I'm interested in anything that'll reduce the number of additives needed to run a healthy sw aquarium of this size, including keeping the stocking levels low. If I can do without the skimmer then all the better. But until I get it up and running I won't know. I got hold of a second pump this one is rated at 800 l/h together with the other power head providing a total of 1800 l/h . The tank comes with an internal filter which usually houses bio + carbon filter media. I have removed the sponges and will replace with Phosphate filter media. Hopefully it won't become biological !

Archived