Top Shelf Aquatics

vortech vs. tunze

pendergraft

Both products seem to be of good quality/movement. The vortech seems to have more options for movement though. Just wondered what the general opinion of these two products is? It would be for a 90g system (not my BC14)

i bought the vortech for my BC 29g, it's an awesome pump and features are impressive on it

i didn't end up keeping the Vortech because i couldn't find a place that my corals were happy with in my BC 29, it was either too little flow on some stuff and too much on others, if i could have used it in the 2nd chamber pointing forward it would have worked perfectly for my tank, but since it isn't sumbmersible i ended up selling it

it was an awesome pump i just couldn't use it on that setup, but 1 in a 90g would be pretty impressive and you might not need any other pumps in the display to move the water, it puts out a wide stream of flow and the features let you find tune it for your setup, my BC 29g just didn't have the length/width needed and my softer corals didn't like the intensity of the flow as much as my SPS did so i couldn't find a good medium in my tank

Check calvin415's large (12 feet long) tank thread. He has a video of a vortech making a nice ebb and flow considering the the volume of the tank.

Seriously though, if you can afford the Vortech, then this post shouldn't exist and i wouldn't settle for less. Geez, how often can we say "settle for less" when refering to Tunze? :lol:

I'd definitely go Vortech though, I have yet to see a complaint about it other than why you'll have no water left in the tank if placed in a pico, d'oh!!

I was just looking at the posts for the vortech on this sight and there was a group buy deal in late December, is this going to happen again soon? If not I will be forced (haha) to pay full shot at my LFS.

Unfortunately that GB is expired. But perhaps PM the organizer of it and see what might be down the line for them again in the future. Worth a try at least. :)

Archived