ReefCleaners.org

Topping up the tank

Thane

To be honest, I'm a little embarrassed to ask this. When adding "top-up" water I know you must use fresh RO water. Can you just add what ever you need to in one go or must you add it slowly? Thanks for your advice in advance.

Evaporation is raising your SG as we discuss this, you should try to top off your water at least everyday to reduce this change. And although you can add it all at once, saving time and money, there are some advantages in addling it more slowly.

There are automatic top off units, which are excellent; however I am currently dripping my top off water. Here are some of the advantages that I believe this offers: no disruption from pouring, reduced sudden salinity change, reduced sudden temperature change, reduced sudden pH change…

I use a Physh1 top off and have no trouble with it whatsoever. It has GOTS to be the best dmaned thing I've ever purchased as far as Bang for the Buck goes. The daily need to be around to top off a small tank sucks...

As for pouring IN water... When I do a WC I slow-pour the fresh water over the top of a powerhead. This seems to break up the pour and spread the flow out.

Archived