Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

These tunicates??

MrKrispy

I got a mushroom rock a while ago, and they were all closed up so I didn't notice them at the LFS. A day later BOOM I got about 10 of them. Still all alive after a couple of months. Sometimes a few of them "sense" when I get close to the thank and shut their intakes.

Anyone see these before? Tunicates?

Sorry, best pic I could get...

Here's a great pic of what nice colorful tunicates look like:

faq_tunicates3.jpg

If you can see inside and notice partitions (they are very simple, multi-organed animals) it's a tunicate, if not, most likely a sponge.

Wow cool photo. i tried to look inside the "mouths" and didn't see the partitions so I guess they are sponges. I see some smaller ones popping up too. Thanks for the id.

I also noticed these brown cicular things growing in a few spots. At first I freaked and thought I had flatworm. Then I realized they haven't moved in at least a week. If you look in the pic above you can slightly see them to the left and right of the upper shroom. Anyone have an idea?

Tunicates tend to be somewhat difficult to maintain in the home aqauarium, as they are filter feeders, and heavy ones @ that. Home reefs tend to be too low in nutrients, even with dosing. The fact that they are spreading leads me to believe that a) they are sponges, or B) you're a lucky guy!

personifer.K

A sponge isn't going to react when they "sense" Mr.Krispy is near, and the majority are more opaque. My guess would be it is still some type of tunicate or close relative. If there are two holes in them I would say definately a type of tunicate. If there is enough waste material in the tank they could easily find sustinance given their small size. try to get a better pic. Either way, sponge or tunicate you are definately lucky to have those little critters in the tank.

I did notice that each one has a main "mouth" and then a smaller hole on the side. A few more have sprouted or grown in the last month. Unfortunately there seems to be some very slow growing brown discs that are trying to cover the rumored tunicates. I have yet to get a good picture of them though, kind of worried about them. They are stuck to the tunicates, I tried moving one with a turkey baster, heh.

this is the best shot I could get where a brown disc is visible, towards the top center of the mess.....

any ideas? they don't move.

Chances are . YEAH.

KENNARD... Wayy cool PIc,

DESKTOPPED IMG ;)

Congrats... fer once a Naked chick or a Transformer, or a cool original art pic isn't there ;)

lifted from the reefs.org hitchhiker's FAQ.....a reference I'd like to see added here, to shut up some of the people who complain about repeated questions about aiptasia, etc. (MrKrsipy: not referring to this thread at all.)

Archived