Pod Your Reef

what to look for in a healthy mushroom rock?

blk_g20

i want to get a mushroom rock this weekend. since i'm a noob, i want to know what to look for. all i know from searching is that they're hardy corals that likes low light and low current.

fb0aa263.jpg

Healthy mushrooms

You want some that are opened up at the store, look for ones that are not torn and find the colors you like the best. Dont be surprised if the nice color ones command a little more money though. Mushrooms are very hardy, it will be a breeze finding nice ones.

Find out what day your LFS gets in new stuff. Like here, most of the LFS go up to Long Beach on monday to get new corals and livestock. So the time to go is Tuesday morning. You do risk things not being fully opened by then. Usually by the weekend the selection is pretty tired. I also try and look in the frag bins for cheap interesting pieces. In some cases, if you don't find what you like, ask them to pick up what you want on the next trip.

nice Mushrooms . i love it, so u mean they can its can survice in low light systems? like how low? i got my like only 15 watts, can they survice in that??

thanks

Make sure there's no flatworms on it. I went to Tong's in FV today... flatworm city. Not to mention the usual different price quote from each salesperson....

Archived