Innovative Marine Aquariums

Are purple dottyback or dottybacks herbivores?

Ytouf

I have a little purple dottyback in my 4 gallon nano and he always seems to have a full stomach. He will always eat some Formula one but his stomach is never not bulging. So I wanted to know if he's just finding plant matter in the tank and eating it.

They will eat any little critter they can find.... pound for pound, or should I say gram for gram these can be one of the meanest fish out there.... next of coarse to their close relative, the bi-color diadema....they make me shutter

Well my girlfriends exhitibits these characteristics but mine doesn't and he gets fed only 2-3 times a day. I don't want the bio load on my water so I let him scavenge and his stomach is usually pretty full.

• 4 weeks later...

You gotta be kidding to say that dottybacks are herbivores. They occupy tropic level of about 3.30 and above in the wild, which means they are fesity little predators. Examination of their stomach contents found little critters and teeny crustaceans, which proves that they are carnivorous.

Originally posted by Ytouf

Well my girlfriends exhitibits these characteristics but mine doesn't and he gets fed only 2-3 times a day. .

Being overfed, maybe? FIsh in captivity are very prone to eating until they burst, if provided too much food.

San Diego Reefer

I know most books and websites say to feed 2-3 times a day.. but personally in a small tank with live rock.. I would say one normal feeding is quite enough. If you are actually doing a very, very small amount perhaps feeding that often is fine.. but remember that in a reef tank your fish is not just eating what you are feeding.. it is also eating every little critter that it can get it's greedy mouth on.

If it's stomach looks too full, it probably is. Don't feed so much.. it will eat until it dies. Most marine fish are perfect examples of Gluttony.

Archived