SaltCritters.com

Please comment on Current USA SubCurrent Internal Filter w/ Pump

maydodo

I ran this for a while on my 29 gallon tank and it worked well. The only issue I had was that it acts like a sump when it comes to tank evaporation. The water level will go down in the filter vs. the tank. The water volume is very small. If you have a lot of evaporation, you will need to top off the water in the filter often. When it gets low, it will fill the tank with micro bubbles. As long as you can stay on top of this, the filter itself works great.

nanoreefer247

i want to get one for my 2.5 gallon custom acrylic tank im getting soon, because it has an overflow plus filtration. my question is how good are they? im prob. going to swap the bio -balls and put in live ruck rubble instead and ditch the charbine and put chemi-pure.i just wanted to know what you people have to say about them.

for reference here it is http://www.fishsupply.com/sct-sc8026.html

i want to get one for my 2.5 gallon custom acrylic tank im getting soon, because it has an overflow plus filtration. my question is how good are they? im prob. going to swap the bio -balls and put in live ruck rubble instead and ditch the charbine and put chemi-pure.i just wanted to know what you people have to say about them.

for reference here it is http://www.fishsupply.com/sct-sc8026.html

i had one of these running for acouple of weeks. all it did for me was blow micro bubbles everywhere. i didn't use any media that it came with besides the filter pad (and purigen), and am still baffled to this day what caused all those micro bubbles. the unit was fully submerged to the proper level and i couldn't see where the air was being sucked into the water column. plus, it was VERY sensitive to the water level, if it dropped a mm, micro bubbles galore. i took it apart and adjusted the powerhead to it's lowest flow setting, but that did not help. it only stopped with the bubbles if it was COMPLETELY submerged, thus negating the fact that i wanted it for a surface skimming filter. it now resides in my local sanitation dump. :angry:

im using one in a 5.5.....its alright....its better looking than a power head imo, and it comes w/ enough lockline to adjust the flow pretty good....

however, yes it can kick out alot of microbubbles......this is how i got past that

it comes w/ 2 "shelves"........throw the very top one out.......the second one that covers the pump, i cut big azz slots in so bubbles could escape......

now i just throw bags of media in it,

"good for tanks up to 20 gal my @$$"

pic of it in my photos too lazy to post em

im using one in a 5.5.....its alright....its better looking than a power head imo, and it comes w/ enough lockline to adjust the flow pretty good....

however, yes it can kick out alot of microbubbles......this is how i got past that

it comes w/ 2 "shelves"........throw the very top one out.......the second one that covers the pump, i cut big azz slots in so bubbles could escape......

now i just throw bags of media in it,

"good for tanks up to 20 gal my @$$"

pic of it in my photos too lazy to post em

New To this site but in the hobby over twenty years. Custom build acrylic tanks, sumps, etc..A good tweak for the subcurrent is to access the actual power head by depressing the tabs inward carefully. Remove the suction cups (Why they left them on is unknown), this will allow more waterflow (water is now sucked through the hole that once held the suction cups). Now take those suction cups and place them on the sides of the power head to keep it center in the compartment as opposed to it leaning towards one side and restricting flow, and creating noise, works well with a few tweaks.

New To this site but in the hobby over twenty years. Custom build acrylic tanks, sumps, etc..A good tweak for the subcurrent is to access the actual power head by depressing the tabs inward carefully. Remove the suction cups (Why they left them on is unknown), this will allow more waterflow (water is now sucked through the hole that once held the suction cups). Now take those suction cups and place them on the sides of the power head to keep it center in the compartment as opposed to it leaning towards one side and restricting flow, and creating noise, works well with a few tweaks.

Archived