Cultivated Reef

are the best detritouss eaters for a nano

mattie

from what i gathered, nassarius (sp) snails and conches are good for it. i just added a fighting conch last sat. and the little guy is now poking his nose everywhere.

Hey mattie, everyone I know that has the fighters love them. I think they can get a little big, don't know what size tank you got. There is another thread on fighting conchs right now, got some good info in it..

Nassarius snails are good for that. They are funny to look too, when I feed my tank, they all move toward the food on the sandbed, like matching in a single line to the food, and moving a lot faster than my turbo snail.

well I've done some reading and they do get big an i don't want to get something just to take it back

I have a 20g.

anything else. maybe a starfish that won"t mess with the clam I have squas clam at the bottom.

I'm deciding against a conch

I am going to try a pair of nassarius snails. my concern is I have never seen one of my snails ever on the sand bed they really just stick to the rocks.

the only critter that stirs the bottom of the tank is one of the red legged hermits but he works 1-2 scuare inchs for like a day or 2 before moves down a little. there are 2 other red legs and 8 or so other hermits but the stay on the rocks near the top occasionaly i'll see one of the little hermits on the bottom but I'm sure he was knocked down by a bigger one

does anyone have a sand sifting star I'm not sure the differnce in star fish I only have info on a few differnet ones and every one I see at the LFS seems a little big or its not reef safe

Archived