Top Shelf Aquatics

emerald crab question

marinebiologist

marinebiologist

i have 2 emerald crabs in my tank and want to make it a reef tank. are they reef compatible. if not is there a certain kind of coral that i can keep with them

Majority of people say they are, but I think they will pick at corals if there is nothing left to eat. I haven't had any problems with mine so far, other than knocking over stuff (could very well be the snails too)

you may see them picking around corals, but there usually just eating algae thats on the rock or plug that the coral is attached to. I have seen a video of an emerald crab owning some zoa's before but every crab has a chance. You should be ok, just watch em.

I even have 1 dwarf blue legged hermit that has been going for 6 months without touching a coral and only kills mexican cerith's (probably noticed his other 5 friends dissappeared after touching one)

I hand feed my emerald crab Nori, just to be on the safe side. The only thing (other than eating algae) I've ever seen him do was try to eat an Asterina starfish. No big deal.

So far, my crab only wards off my peppermint shrimp. I've seen him b*tch slap hermit crabs when they get to close, but no harm is done. He's preety much a model citizen.

I caution Emeralds with my latest experience. I feed my emerald every day. But it has still killed my Blue tang and my Lawnmower blenny, and has destroyed my bubble coral. I'm about to sautee this emerald and be done with it. But they are one hell of a GHA eater.

Oh and my Emerald is no longer green. It is Purple and dark brown now.

Edited by Rocket

I had one that slapped my mantis shrimp with its claw. Then my mantis slapped back... Before it was killed, it was a really interesting little guy. It always picked at algae and was constantly moving. Most of the posts I've read seem to suggest that once they get on the large side they start going "rogue" and killing tankmates. I believe you can avoid this by getting a female. You can tell the difference from the claws. The males usually have a sharp tip while the females have blunt tips on their claws. RIP Mi Migo....

I had one that slapped my mantis shrimp with its claw. Then my mantis slapped back... Before it was killed, it was a really interesting little guy. It always picked at algae and was constantly moving. Most of the posts I've read seem to suggest that once they get on the large side they start going "rogue" and killing tankmates. I believe you can avoid this by getting a female. You can tell the difference from the claws. The males usually have a sharp tip while the females have blunt tips on their claws. RIP Mi Migo....

Very true...females are generally smaller in this species and are less likely to attack tankmates...they are great algae eaters though...

You can feed them Nori (sushi seaweed) or other kinds of prepared algae. Excess Chaeto from a fuge works well to.

My emerald crab is up and about at all hours, munching away at this or that.

i would say no, they constantly pick at and eat anything that will come off the rocks

But what would be a good CUC for the hair algae on the LR. My LR has algae, one big feather duster

living in the rock, 1 middle size feater duster and many many very small waving ones. please advise

But what would be a good CUC for the hair algae on the LR. My LR has algae, one big feather duster

living in the rock, 1 middle size feater duster and many many very small waving ones. please advise

Sea Hares...some types of turbos...a mexican turbo will

marinebiologist

i was watching my emeralds and noticed that one got on the bottom of a rock rubbing its back into the sand. is it just doing it for fun or is it a disease or do they do that when they are molting?

I think a emerald crab is my best bet to clean up my tank. I have excessive chaeto growing that I want to get rid of, along with a recurring GHA problem. Should this be my last addition to my CUC? How much are they? Think everything in my signature will be ok with one?

marinebiologist

emeralds are around 8 to 10 $ at my lfs. as for being safe for the tank all emeralds are different. some leave everything alone and some kill everything. i just added 2 emeralds yesterday and they were my first additions so i dont really know how they will do once i start to add other members of the cuc.

i bought 2 emerald crabs to take care of a lil bubble algae.

at first one of them was picking at the stem of my duncans. it was just pinching off tissue for it.

i pushed it away and hasn't picked on anything else.

the took care of my bubble algae and are constantly cleaning my rockwork and corals.