Cultivated Reef

Zoas, but what kind?

lostdog

I picked up a couple frags at the LFS for my tank now that I'm getting back to maintaining it. They looked cool to me and I know they are Zoas, but are they run of the mill or hard to find?

CRW_7837.CRW.jpg

CRW_7841.CRW.jpg

And though this doesn't appear to be a zoa, just some sort of polyp, I'd still like to know what exactly it is (sorry for the slightly blurry photo).

CRW_7844.CRW.jpg

I am not great at zoa ID but it looks like the first one is eagle eyes, someone will chime in on them there are alot of people who will know what they are

The first ones are known as Eagle Eyes, the second are Radioactive Dragon Eyes, the third appear to be generic Palythoa. Many people here shun the use of names for corals. Others use them to describe them, so others know what is being talked about. I am amused that the same people who make fun of common names all seem to use scientific names. Guess they feel more scientific, even though that's just another form of jargon...I mean if you want to get completely away from the naming thing we should just refer to them by description....People just make me laugh

Many people here shun the use of names for corals. Others use them to describe them, so others know what is being talked about.

I have no problems learning the scientific names, since that also helps in the research. I just wanted to be able to compare using the common name, to see if I got ripped off for $10/frag.

you didnt get ripped off at 10/frag on the eagle eyes or the dragon eyes. I wouldnt of paid for the last frag Im not a big fan of those. But its not about getting ripped off, if you like the coral and are willing to pay the money then be happy you have a new coral. Also 10/frag is very cheap and those eagle eyes are sweet :D

I am amused that the same people who make fun of common names all seem to use scientific names. Guess they feel more scientific, even though that's just another form of jargon...I mean if you want to get completely away from the naming thing we should just refer to them by description....People just make me laugh

GIANT FLAMING PURPLE CROTCH MOTEHR####ER ZOANTHIDS ≠ Zoanthus sp.

1. Eagle Eyes, 2. Radioactive dragon eyes, I think (get them under a halide, they'll look great, way brighter) and the third is a metallic blue palythoa sp., I've never heard a more specific name, heres a nice shot I got of one of my colonies of them, alittle more filled in...

Photos1225-1230290.jpg

here are my radioactive dragon eyes

Photos180.jpg

Archived