Top Shelf Aquatics

Feeding my damsels freshwater flakes . . out of brine shrimp!

darwin604

I just fed my 2 damsels my last bit of brine shrimp today after I learned earlier this week that my LFS wont have frozen brine shrimp in stock for another couple days from now. I'm wondering if I can maybe feed them some fresh water cichlid flakes or something for the next 2 days (I have an african cichlid tank) . . will anything in freshwater flakes hurt my damsels or my cleaner shrimp? (he'll definitely be hungry too). I know its not exactly a good practice but will it work for a couple days??

thanks . .

d.

ps. no flaming please . . I don't have any other options :)

i'm not too sure if they will eat this but, romane lettuce hearts? you know the stocks? tie it to a rock with rubber band and then maybe your damsels will eat? i think the cleaner shrimp will eat it thought. i know hermits snails and tangs, or any vegi fish for that matter, will eat it. woth a try???

No lettuce for damsels. The ciclid flake will not poison them, but will lack nutrition for long term health. A day or two is no big deal.

A diet of only brine shrimp doesn't really give everything that a fish need to live for years either. I would suggest that you buy a can of flake designed for marine fish. A small can lasts for a long time.

I'm gonna have to agree with not feeding them. I feed my little dottyback about 3 times a week. It makes his scavenge and his stomach is always full. I think it makes fish hardier to have to find stuff sometimes, I'm not saying don't feed your fish.

Archived