SaltCritters.com

acrylic fuge cover - bad idea?

vellefromhell67

vellefromhell67

I'm thinking of using a spare acrylic lexan panel to cover my 20gal sump/fuge to minimize evaporation. However, the lexan is UV resistant. Would this cause any kind of growth problem for the chaeto in the fuge as far as filtering light from the 15w 6500k bulb that I have hanging over the fuge?

I cant use glass, in case you were wondering, because of plumbing going in and out of the top of the sump

Thanks all! ;)

no, I don't think so. The chaeto should still do fine.

It may impeed gas exchange into the water but for a fuge that may not be a big deal to you.

acrylic and lexan are 2 completely different things. which one do you have?

also i dont think you will have any problem with the uv blockage preventing growth.

vellefromhell67
acrylic and lexan are 2 completely different things. which one do you have?

also i dont think you will have any problem with the uv blockage preventing growth.

Oh oops, its lexan. I'll go ahead and use it if no one thinks it'll impede growth for the chaeto. Thanks guys!

It will be fine. Acrylic will not block anything that your gonna notice. I would be more concerned about the impediance of gas exchange.

vellefromhell67
It will be fine. Acrylic will not block anything that your gonna notice. I would be more concerned about the impediance of gas exchange.

Oh it wont be completely sealed. I have to cut out a few sections of the lexan panel to accommodate the protein skimmer that sticks up out of the top of the sump as well as the drain and return lines. :)

something about gas exhange not happening raising the CO2 levels or something like that

i would think if you have a protein skimmer with the air hose sucking air outside the sump (not sealed in with the sump) it should be plenty enough for gas exhange

Archived