SaltCritters.com

Help!! Live rock is....... Alive! Clam? WTF

miktravs1

Help, I have no idea what this could possibly be. I will try and get some good pics tomorrow to show better what I will describe.

I bought a small mushroom on a..... oh 4" piece of rock. I picked it up for a good price of about 2.50 so I was pleased with my purchase as I wanted a small mushroom to watch it grow and split etc.

After about a week of curious movements from the rock I sat for hours watching this rock and what it did. Again, I will post pics if I can get a good one to help. The rock is different than any rock I have seen, almost looks like lava rock, the smooth rippled kind not the porous stuff. Thing that is very very odd is running the entire way around the rock is this "fault" or line, where it looks like it is separated. Now, the curious movements I spoke of are on occasion, sitting in front of my tank, I could swear the entire rock moved. So, after spending at least 2 hours perched watching this line in the rock I have come to one conclusion. IT DOES MOVE!!!!! Slowly, the line will separate, not much, maybe 1/2 an inch or so, then, if you tap on the glass or make any kind of vibration to the stand it will shut tight.

WTF could this be, can it be some sort of clam, or do I just have possessed rock.

I can't see anything inbetween the rock when it separates????

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Archived