Pod Your Reef

Fishneedit reviews

Atlantis Reef

Atlantis Reef

Ok all we need reviews and info on all fishneedit lights. Im thinking if they respond to my emails of selling them at my very soon future store. NEED INFO !!!

I have the 24 inch fixture on my 10 gallon

great so far

oh and

Live the dream man

GOOD LUCK! :happy:

and dont let #####y costumers get you down

I like the fixtures I have used the T5 as well as the MH, their bulbs arent the best but they still work well. If you change the bulb then you have a grade A set up

I have the 4-bulb 24" with LED's, planning to use it for frags possibly at some point.

I think its great, and would be better with new bulbs. My favorite part is the enclosure, its fantastic.

Atlantis Reef

I have been in the reefkeeping hobby for over 25 years back to the skilter filter junk days and noone had a idea what a reef was hehe. CUSTOMER SATISFACTION FIRST. It will be a online store and my first ad will be right here whenever I get it up and setup!!! Need pics and details plz

I bought a 2x96watt PC fixture from them a little over a year ago. After about 6-months the white bulb started flickering and went dim so I assumed bad bulb. So I ordered new bulbs put them in and turned out to be the electronic ballast. Should have checked it with the other bulb before buying new ones.. :huh: I found a used Coralife 2x96 fixture, put in the new bulbs and have used it since then. I kept the fishneedit fixture for parts or a backup 1x96. They no longer sell PC lights...wonder ????

Do you think they would sell to an online competitor?

Atlantis Reef

Not sure they will they haven't replied to 3 emails about purchasing or advertising. Im just looking at all avenues to help out fellow reefers. Hell it may just be a link from my site to theirs and that is fine but I want details about light before I say anything or sell them

i have 2 of their fixtures, one was the 24" 2x24W and the other 24" 4x24w. they are very good for the money and have kept my corals happy and growing. new bulbs definitely brings them to the next level. i dont have the one with contoured reflector so it might brighten up my tank even more if i do.

all in all im really satisfied about this product. it was cheap enough for me not to worry about modding it and messing something up later.

The Propagator
I have the 4-bulb 24" with LED's, planning to use it for frags possibly at some point.

I think its great, and would be better with new bulbs. My favorite part is the enclosure, its fantastic.

Isn't it though !

I love the modular design. Did you know you can buy their MH pendants and they will literally slide on and lock in place on the t5 fixtures ?

I would have had one by now but things happened and I am stuck with a coralvue 6x54w T5 fixture instead :(

I WILL be buying one soon for the wifes 29g and my 40B though.

( yeah though you will definitely want to change those bulbs ! )

Hello,

I just received fishneedit.com 70W metal halide version. It's been up for about 18 hours now maybe ;). But so far so good.

The packaging it arrived in was good (lot's of bubble wrap). The fixture that holds the bulb plugs into the ballast using a standard 2 prong socket.

I ordered the 20K bulb with it however it's more of a whitish colour than a blue colour so I would definately recommend getting a better bulb (for the 70W fixture at least). Although the whitish colour might be due to the fact that it still hasn't been "broken in". It does start off as a nice blue colour for the first few seconds and then gets whiter.

As for the actual fixture. I've run it for about 8 hours each of the first 2 days. The fixture that holds the bulb does get hot, but that is expected. However the ballast runs very cool. Can barely feel any heat coming from it. These are apparantly the new electronic ballasts that they replaced the old magnetic ones with as I have read on some of the threads here on nano-reef.com. The brand name of the ballast is "Brilliant". Someone on here said that Phillips makes i think? Also, I would like to note that the fixture is quite light (in the weight sense ;) )

So far I am very impressed. I have it hanging above my 3 gallon(9" cube), yes i know it's overkill, but for the price you just can't beat it... it's almost the same price as a good PC fixture. The halides come with a hanging kit (ceiling bolts and all) as well as a HOB style legs. I decided to hang it from a stairway banister post using brackets ( all from home depot for about $20 Canadian) and attached it to my aquarium stand. It's about 22" from the bottom of the tank

I can't really say how good the bulb is with live stock as all I have right now is live rock in the tank and pet coralline algae.

As for comparisons, the only other experience I've had with metal halides was the 150W coralife HOB which I used on my 10gallon. This (ballast) does run a lot cooler (to me at least) than the coralife ballast. Then again that was a 150W and this is a 70W.

I would like to note that over here it's the middle of winter and very cold (temp varies between -15 and -30 celcius outside). I would still like to see how my tank and this light fixture hold up during the summer months

So, to surmise, I would recommend this fixture to anyone considering purchasing it. Hopefully the bulb will show more of a bluish colour as time goes on.

I hope this has helped

bump for interest...anyone else notice they currently have a 250W MH pendant on sale for $150? Besides the bulb and LED moonlights, what's the difference between this and the Sunpod 250W? Reflector?....

At Aquacave.com they have reflectors for 149.95. So I guess reflectors are important. I didn't know.

Fishneedit will be cool when they start selling the body without the reflector, ballast, or bulbs. I would prefer to retro kit a nice fixture not a canopy.

This is what we want if anyone is starting up a store and wants to know what to stock.

:flower:

My problem with the idea of their fixtures is that your going to spend $60 - $75 on a bulb,

when you could for $70 more get a trusted with a warranty brand-name fixture with a good bulb.

• 1 month later...

The great thing about these lights is you can put together a light with 2 MHs plus T5s, even for a smaller tank, such as a 24" or 30" size. There are no "off the rack" fixtures I know of that have this.

Can someone that has a light from FishNeedIt comment on the bulbs, reflector and ballast qualities? One thread seemed pretty negative about the ballast, but maybe it's improved? The price is so good, it would be pretty easy to replace the bulbs and still be within a budget, depending on compatibility. Have people changed out the bulbs with good results?

Does anyone have pictures of their light over their tank? I am thinking seriously of getting one for an Elos System 70 that includes 2 x 150w MH (or 2 x 250) plus the T5s.

Since some of you bought these lights in January, it would be great to hear what you think now.

Thanks!

found fishneedit here in a post,

i had gotten a used 150w coralife pendant with a 10k bulb from a friend

i used the bulb for sometime without knowing how old it was, it was old tho lol.

anyways i did not have the cash at the time to buy either a radium 20k or a phoenix 14k so i went ahead and got there(fishneedit) 14k 150w de bulb for 20 bucks! its a great price and the bulb is beyond great.

it has a really crisp/blueish hue to it, i like it alot, it really blew my expectations of the bulb i thought was going to be just cheap.

i should have over 150 hrs on the bulb now

i emailed them about a t5h0 fixture that was out of stock, he told me that it was out of stock due to them getting newer and better ballasts, so perhaps they have gotten better ballasts, then again i cannot comment on them as i havent got a fixture from them only a bulb, shipping was fast, 2 day priority from califronia, bulb was well packed.

i am planning to order from them again soon.

I ordered 3 of their 150w DE 8000k bulbs for my FW fish tank and the color is definitely nice.

Function wise I would not be able to say other then it grows a nice lush green mat of algae.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone that has this fixture tell me how wide the mounting brackets are? I'm designing an acrylic tank and need to design the top brace to accommodate the bracket feet of this fixture.

Archived