Cultivated Reef

40 gallon??

ReefNewbie

Hey everyone would a 40 gallon tank still be considered a nano?? I know a person willing to sell it, but was wondering if I'd have to use a sump/protein skimmer or would the HOB still be fine and could I run it as a nano? Thanks for any input!!

40 is not really a nano its more like a small mini reef

bigger is always better but something to consider is if the tank is a 40 tall stay away you won't get good light penitration

i would recommend a sump/refugium but its not needed . what you need is a solid plan and some patience and big $$$$$

you may save a little $$ on the tank but you need good lights, lots of live rock a pair of powerheads more patience and you can get a away with a HOB filter if you add flow with powerheads to ensure good circulation

40 gallon would need a min 400 gph total and if want sps corals you would probably double that to 800 gph

and read up on the articles availble here

I have a 35g and I run a protein skimmer and a HOB 24-7, It's been going for about 2 years. I am makeing a sump right now for it.

I have 5 small fish and a lot of corals. I also run carbon 24-7.

I do a 2g water change each week and rinse off filter pads and carbon once a week.

If you want to call it a nano then call it a nano. People have different opinions on what a nano is so it's up to you.

To me pico reefs are 5 gallons or less and nano's are 6-20 g, mini reefs are 21-50g.

I also have a 7g nano and a 120g in the works.

it's not a "nano," says the nano purist. But it's still smaller than the ocean. But why buy it based on what it's called? Call it whatever you want :D

I say try it out, see if you can maintain your levels without the skimmer, if not, get the skimmer. This hobby is built on the past experiences of people. There was a time when it was said that tanks should be 74-79 F, that was borrowed from freshwater keeping, and now it seems that a sucessful tank can be had with temps 80-82, rules are always changing, I say be the first to bend them

a 1000 gallon is a nano comparatively

but to all the nano-reef dorks myself included 20 gallon or high is not a nano but who cares get a 40 if I had the $ and the room I whould do a bigger tank

Archived