Cultivated Reef

Firefish or Purple firefish

Chyendra

I'm trying to decide between the two and was wondering what fellow reefers had to say. Basicly he will be 1 of 3 fish in a 20L reef (other fish will be either... false perc, neon goby, citron goby, and/or royal gramma)

which one do you all perfer? personality wise or appearence, or hardiness whatever it is, let me know. Thanks!

The only difference is color and price. A pair of regular firefish cost as much as a single purple firefish at my LFS's. As far as your other fish selection goes I have a pair of false percs and a pair of firefish with plans to add a neon goby and a flame angel in upcoming months (not a nano tank) and the false percs and firefish get along fine. Everything you listed sounds good as possible tankmates (it helps that I've had one or more of each over the years :)). The royal grammas are a bit more shy than the other fish I've noticed but they come out eventually. I never had an issue with him picking on my other fish but he will be the first fish to go if you have water quality issues. HTH

Ox

• 4 weeks later...

I have a pair of reg. firefish in my 15 they are awesome always hanging together in front and swim all over the place. make sure you add them first even before the gramma. I plan on getting bicolor blenny im not sure yet.

If you get a royal gramma, get a regular firefish to add more/different color to your tank.. if you're planning on not getting the gramma, get the purple firefish..

• 3 months later...

Also, purple firefish have shorter dorsal(?) fins that flick up when the fish moves. I like the purple better for its color but the constant movement of the reg. is also a good choice.

a firefish and a gramma are not a good idea in a small tank. Being from the same class of fish they will and do fight, the gramma being the more aggressive of the two, the firefish will be forced to hide all the time.

Trust me, I know, I had a pair of firefish and a single gramma in my 90 gallon reef and this happened.

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Archived