inTank Media Baskets

kalkwasser experts needed!!!

actnuts

I am confused on the use of kalkwasser. My lfs sold me natureef's reef former and instructed me to use 2 ounces of the mixed solution to my 11 gallon twice per week. When I research the use of kalkwaser in nano reefs I find many different opionions. HELP PLEASE!! Of course the natureef's website says to use it to top off your evaporation. Other sites say never use it at all on nano reef's. Would the experts please tell me what to do!

I have a 3 1/2 month old 11 gallon tank.

Here is my livestock. click

well, considering u have alot more softies and livestock than actual coral which would utilize the calcium (i.e. SPS...or clams)

i dunno about kalk so soon, especially if u are just now jumping into the hobby with little background knowledge about kalk anyway (i'm NOT being condescending, just IMO take it with some elephant skin and dolphin brains)

but..there might be some nice big formulas for big tanks, but gotta be a bit eh eh when it comes to such a small 11 gallon...

don't want to spike anything unnecessary..

a few things...

1) to minimize any swings in pH drip it in at night.

2) use 1-1.5 teaspoons per gallon of water if u are using tap water

and a tad less if u are using RO water (to a max of 1 teaspoon, at least for the tank environment you mentioned...no need for anymore..very similar to the instructions on the kalk product eh? *hint hint* read instructions too)

DUMP IT ALL IN THE TANK!!! just kidding....

(i'm a bit buzzed on coronas now...my useless alcoholic friends came by again to litter and generally make my place into a hellhole)

3) I'd say to be on the safe side to START dripping a total overnight amount that is slightly less than your evaporative conditions... (i.e. if u evaporate 1 cup of water a day, use kalk a bit less than that...) this is WAY conservative, but since u are just starting the stuff, i say better safe than sorry...

4) measure alk and calc next day... see if it stabilizes to where u feel comfortable...(try 8-11 dkh and at least 400 ppm calc...450 is usually recommended for clams and SPS...

5) check my "ALL THE INFORMATION YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ALK AND CALC" thread in the advanced forums...u know the post with all the flames in it...click the link with the alk and calc chart and memorize it and see where your tank stands in terms of the chart...

6) Increase dosage now that you have an idea of where your tank stands in terms of standards using the chart...

Great information SuperNano! My lfs is the one and only in town. He has beatifully set up reef tanks but has the personality of a freshwater catfish. The instructions on the Kalkwasser concentrate was written in permanent marker! 2oz 2x week. He never mentioned dripping either. He recommended a shot glass. All of my critters seem to be doing fine however! This hobby gives me anxiety attacks! I have become addicted! Does the Corona help?

Sam, lurk more and quit trying to pose as a FN'GEEK....

FWIW, CORONA is a damn good ####/beer that I enjoy also..... with a splash of Jose 1800 in it and a LIME ;)

I would suggest not using kalc at all. If you must adjust calc/alk go and buy a two part calcuim/alkalinity additive. In a small tank, it will last forever, and there are no worries about slow drips, coronas, or anything else.

On a side note, real men brew their own stout in 5 gallon buckets. Corona is for poosies.

Archived