Innovative Marine Aquariums

Equipment check

Grendel0501

I've amassed alot of equipment over the last 2-3 months. I'm trying to be "prepared".

And I think , equipment-wise , I'm ready.

Here's what all I have.

45g Tank , Stand , and spare light

100lbs of rock 50lbs dry and 50lbs live waiting in a friends tank.

40lbs Caribsea live sand

2 Koralia 2's , Visi-therm 200w , mag-float , 2 thermometers , multi-purpose alage tool , tongs , net and some replacement filters for my emporer

4 power filters given to me by random friends with extra equipment , I might use them , I might not.

2 7g portable water container for water changes. I intend to get saltwater made at my LFS.

Sealife systems Wet/Dry which I gutted out , and intend to use as my sump.

Converted wet/dry w/ rio 2100 return and Coralife Super Skimmer already modded out by previous owner , not sure wether I am going to leave it like this or try and fit the skimmer inside the sump. There is a rio 2100 for the return pump. I also have a 18in NO fluorescent fixture w/ GE aquarium bulb that will be used to grow cheato in the sump at night. Is the light enough to grow chateo? or should I get a more pinpoint source of light , like one of those clip on desk lights?

Eshopps PF-800 overflow and return plumbing

Odyssea 250w MW + 2x96w CF fixture , the stock ballast pulls 190 , I intend to do Evil's mod for more wattage. If it's not enough I'll get new ballast some day. The light will be hung from some bent EMT piping.

I also put together a small shelf to store aquarium stuff. It's also where the timers are mounted.

Last but not least I have a refractometer from NIS on ebay.

I think that's everything , besides some books and magazines.

I figure all I need now is some test kits and maybe afew chems.

What do you think? Am I missing anything? Am I ready to start adding salt water and begin my cycle?

looks good to me. got test kits right?

Thanks for looking it over for me ,

Test strips and chems are the only things that I havn't picked up yet.

I figure I'll get some 5 in 1 strips from petsmart to see when my cycle is over a week or two after I add water. And pick up chems when needed.

GFCI outlet, if you don't already have one. +a batter powered air pump in case of power outages

And remember to cycle your dry rock before you add the live. Otherwise you'll lose biodiversity.

FYI go with an API test kit, the one with ph, ammonia, NO2, and NO3. I would also get a Ca test kit too. Don't use the strips, many say they are horribly inaccurate, and you don't want to misjudge a cycle.

The only two things I can think of needing to do before I get water would be.

Finish hanging light , and cut plexi glass sheet to line bottom of tank.

And then I'm good to start picking up saltwater from my LFS. Yay!

How am I doing on water flow?

I have 2 Koralia 2's (600gph) and the return pump from the sump will be pushing around 320gph through a powerhead peice on the return pipe.

Archived