SaltCritters.com

Sand and RO questions...

kalawai

Ok---I know you guys are going to love this one---and I do expect to get flamed like hell. I have read that its best to seed your tank with just the live rock before adding the sand. I have a 10 gal but not done anything yet to it--its a brand new setup. I would love to hear from people that have been doing nanos for a long time.

Is this the best way to do this? Or maybe I should ask-- have you longtime Nano reefers ever just put the sand and rock at the same time?

I have another stupid questionX) RO water--do you need to add any buffers before adding the salt? I did see a Kent product that you add before the salt mix......is this Bull###### or a needed product?

Yes, I'm a newbie at reef tanks---but I have this 90 gal planted tank thats just to die for and want to do this 10 gal right.

I have a couple of books by Julian Sprung & J Charles Delbeek do you recommend any other books?

Seed your tank without LS? the idea of seeding, is that the LR seeds the LS. I just started tho. Im sure everyone puts in both at same time. That kent product is BULL. Lots of reading forums will help alot, it helped me. HTH

Yeah....kinda thought that Kent stuff was BULL. I guess maybe I'm reading to much about the sand/RO. Its good the hear how other people are doing their tanks and the more you ask questions-- you learn from them.

Thanks for your input.

I put the sand in first with the 26 only because the rock wasn't here yet.

I usually do it all at once. Kennerd's method is a good one. add sand, cover with saran wrap, add water, remove the wrap and add the rock. minimizes the storm.

Hi Crak,

After reading your responce---I think I'll do all at once. I'm not sure about saran wrap---LOL. As for books who do you recommend?

PS I liked your responce to Dave ESPI in a different thread.

--That's putting him in his place!!

Originally posted by Crakeur

I usually do it all at once.  Kennerd's method is a good one.  add sand, cover with saran wrap, add water, remove the wrap and add the rock.  minimizes the storm.

That is how I did it also. That cloudy sand storm was a PITA in the other one and the wrap does wonders.

Angel

Archived