Pod Your Reef

Lighting for a 20

ReefNewbie

I'm planning on starting up a 20gallon and will be placing various type of coral in it (lps,sps,softies,etc). Any ideas of what lighting I should use for the tank? Also, would a moon light be good or is it optional. Many people are telling me it's optional, but I wanna imitate the ocean as much as possible for these guys. Thanks for any help!!

Oh if the corals won't care and what not, I may not get the moon light. As for money spent, I do understand that lighting is very important for the boys in the tank. I don't wanna go cheap on them so I am willing to put down a decent but not obsurd amount of $$.

If you like SPS and Clams MH is best. A 175 MH with a 55/65 watt PC Actinic should be more than enough. You should be able to get that for about 200-250. You definitely want an electronic Ballast for the MH as well. Will you be building a canopy, needing a premade hood, or hanging a pendant?

I'll probably need a premade hood, and hopefully the lfs will have something of the sort to hold the lights. I was also looking at something hanging, but I have 3 cats at home that are VERY cursious at times, so that has swayed me from that idea.

Though they are a bit more costly you might want to just go with a 150 DE 20000k bulb. No actinic needed and can be easily purchased in a premade hood with legs. If you are looking for a premade hood why would you need to go to the LFS to have something to hold the lights?

I also have a 20 (high) and am looking at future lighting...

What about T5? Even though MH's are cheap to start off, the annual cost seems very high. With t-5's, the raplacement rate can vary from $25-40 a year, while MH with PC can be $80-100 a year.

What are everyones thoughts?

Mike:

If you put 6 or even 8 t-5's the total wattage only be 144 or 192 if you put 8. Even at only 10 bucks a bulb that is still 60-80 bucks a year. An XM 20k 175 M bulb is only 60-70 bucks. I have heard that though the T-5's are bright (they look great in person, nice tank coloration as well) their acros don't keep their color well under T-5's. The Acros grew well, but they turned brown.

If you are looking for cheap I have heard that URI VHO's using an IceCap ballast keep their color rendition and have very little spectral shift after two years. I have 4x75w VHO's over my 20 and all my stonies have kept their color well so far.

I plan on using 4 t-5's for a total of 100 watts.. this shouldnt be a problem, as the LPW rating of T-5 is very high.

Actually, t5's are $20 apeice, it is just that you only have to replace them every 2-4 years.

VHO sounds nice, but 4x20 every year is a little expensive.

Another idea I had is to run 4 NO bulbs on an Icecap, apparently they will be drven at near-VHO levels. This sounds good, but howdo I get a good Spectrum?

URI makes NO bulbs, but if you have a VHO ballast you may as well use VHO bulbs.

I believe on Championlighting's site they that using an Icecap ballast and URI bulbs the Spectral shift and color rendition changed only slightly after two years. You can still get a 175 MH bulb on Ebay for 40 bucks.

Either way in this hobby I wouldn't worry about an extra 40-50 bucks a year to have great looking corals!

Archived