Pod Your Reef

Best RO/DI For 9 gallon tank?

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

What is the best value out there for an RO/DI Unit for a 9 gallon tank? I've heard a lot about the Mighty Mite - any other recommendations?

Water General from Filter Direct on ebay. I have >THIS ONE< It's been great.

i had that one too, great unit, very solid in construction, though it doesn't work so well when water freezes in the chambers, then again, what unit would? :o

Deleted User 6
Water General from Filter Direct on ebay. I have >THIS ONE< It's been great.

For only $30 more than the mighty mite, that's not a bad deal. How much waster water does it produce per gallon of ro/di? What about for the mighty mite?

is the lfs or another source an option? for such a small tank may pay to outsource it. they sell ro/di, (no salt), here for $.28 a gallon if you have your own jug. You can store it, with your size tank it would be quicker and it would take 4 years with very regular water changes for the ro/di to pay for itself, plus no fuss. (8 years with regular changes, and by then the ro/di would need maintenance). But I guess you have to check for it locally.

I received the 75 gpd 5 stage RO/DI from bulkreefsupply.com. It came with all the parts I needed and idiot proof instructions. I am very happy with the purchase.

Looks like a bit more money then the other items suggested though.

is the lfs or another source an option? for such a small tank may pay to outsource it. they sell ro/di, (no salt), here for $.28 a gallon if you have your own jug. You can store it, with your size tank it would be quicker and it would take 4 years with very regular water changes for the ro/di to pay for itself, plus no fuss. (8 years with regular changes, and by then the ro/di would need maintenance). But I guess you have to check for it locally.

will it? a lot of people buy an RO/DI because they get tired of lugging containers around, plus it is there if you ever get another tank or upgrade to a larger one.

will it? a lot of people buy an RO/DI because they get tired of lugging containers around, plus it is there if you ever get another tank or upgrade to a larger one.

Not to mention it's nice to have 100% assurance when it come to your water quality. If the LFS doesn't change their filters on a regular basis, who know what you're really paying for. True story, I bought RO/DI water from a LFS while waiting for my RO/DI unit to be delivered. I tested the water I bought and had a TDS of 530TDS. That's worse than my home tap water.

Deleted User 6

Outsourcing won't work - I live in Brooklyn. It's a pain to take anything anywhere on public transit. No answer on the waste water amount?

all units usually get a 1:4 ratio of good:bad water. Now if you really wanted to you could re-route the waste water back into the filter. Some say this will burn out the filters quicker but i don't see how.

Deleted User 6
all units usually get a 1:4 ratio of good:bad water. Now if you really wanted to you could re-route the waste water back into the filter. Some say this will burn out the filters quicker but i don't see how.

Thanks.

I've never actually measured it but I'd say 1:4 is a good guesstimate. I water the planters with the waste water line. I need to actually see. I need to make water in the next day or so, maybe I'll try to get an answer. It will also vary depending on conditions.

anybody have photos of their unit installed?

im about to purchase. (after a year) and trying to figure out if i can do myself or do i need to call the plumber?

anybody have photos of their unit installed?

im about to purchase. (after a year) and trying to figure out if i can do myself or do i need to call the plumber?

I don't have mine plumbed in. I have a garden hose adaptor connector. When I want to make water, I connect it, make what I want, then put it away.

will it? a lot of people buy an RO/DI because they get tired of lugging containers around,

but with a 9 gallon 6 gallon jugs of water would last a month, certainly that takes less time than setting up the ro unit and watching it, etc...

plus it is there if you ever get another tank or upgrade to a larger one.

true.

Not to mention it's nice to have 100% assurance when it come to your water quality. If the LFS doesn't change their filters on a regular basis, who know what you're really paying for. True story, I bought RO/DI water from a LFS while waiting for my RO/DI unit to be delivered. I tested the water I bought and had a TDS of 530TDS. That's worse than my home tap water.

should get a tds meter either way and check them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived