SaltCritters.com

Aiptasia or something good?

cblack

I am new to taking aquarium pictures so please excuse the quality. I read a thread on Aiptasia including a little FAQ by Acoustic that had a picture, and I thought it looked like what I have. It does seem to be growing fairly quickly so I thought I'd post and find out what to do before it gets out of control. This is a somewhat established nano I bought from someone and moved.

is the mouth area rocky or fleshy..do the tentacles suck into the rocky middle part, or if startled does the entire thing (tentacles center mouth and all) dart in and the whole thing gets smaller...?

is your rock Florida Aquacultured? Could be harmless cup corals..

The tentacles do suck in when disturbed. I would say the whole thing sucks in, kind of like xenia. As to whether the mouth area is rocky or fleshy, I can't say for sure but would lean towards fleshy. Supposedly this is Bali LR, not FL. It is growing pretty quickly which is what concerned me it could be Aiptasia, it also looked kind of similar to the pic. As far as size, it is quite small, probably 1" square in area and less than 1/4" high. If it isn't "cup coral", what could it be? Could it be cup coral even if it is on Bali LR?

what do you mean by growing quickly ?

is each polyp getting larger or is the number of polyps increasing.

it's just to hard to call from the pic..

-skeletor-

Yes, it would be hard to tell that from any picture, perhaps a time-lapse movie? :)

The individual polyps are getting larger, especially the lengths of the tentacles.

Archived