Pod Your Reef

best skimmer for a 10g sump on a 29g biocube?

beeker

i'm going to be adding a 10g sump to my biocube 29g and was wondering what skimmers people reccomed for a heavily stocked 29g

i was looking at ASM G series skimmers, and a few other companies but wanted to get some first or second hand advice before purchasing one

my budget is around 200-300 bucks for a new skimmer, i already have a CPR SR3 on the tank but know that there are better skimmer's out there and i'll be upgrading when the sump is done

I am a fan of the Aqua-C Remoras and EV series ... I have the Remora on my BC when it was up and running ... now I have the EV 240 on a 90G ... love it!!!

-David

Any knock off made for a 55g+ tank should work wonders for your little setup.

A buddy of mine in AZ had this corallife SS65 knock off that works insane, and it was only 19.99.

Check out the Vertex IN-80 (PA has it on sale for $134.99). I just ordered one to use in a 10g sump under my 33L. I have read everything I can about it and it seems like it is a great value.

alright i'll check that one out too, i like the performance i saw on youtube of the ASM one, i tried finding other skimmer video's but most were of the bigger brands and model sizes

granted i don't need a skimmer rated for 150 gallons but i'd honestly love to have one on my tank, lol

and when i eventually upgrade to a 90g i want to have some of the equipment already

best skimmer for a 29g with a 10g sump??

and you can spend up to $300??

no contest, the SWC extreme 160 will rock that tank like no other.

and you get a muffler for noise, bubble plate to break up turbulence, and submerged wedge outlet for easy, quiet adjustments.

dont get the lame octopus knock off version though....

also, asm sux, and anything aqua c makes is complete garbage...

both are a waste of plasic, imo.

the vid's i watched of the ASM were pretty impressive but all skimmers look cheaply made, i mean no matter what brand you buy it is the same design regurgated over and over to get almost the same result, just little tweaks here and there, and all of the skimmers use different operating pumps, lol

a bubble plate is the only thing i didn't see with the ASM, since my SR3 skimmer now is a venturi design, i'm definatly getting something that has a needle wheel this time around

i'll look into the SWC extreme though, i don't think i saw that brand before

that SWC skimmer looks great and has every option i'm looking for and the dimensions are perfect for a 10g, thats probably the one i'll be going with then, i hope to have the sump up and running in the next week or two, still have to drill the 10g

but i'll definatly post up pics when i'm finished

thanks for all your help guys

also, the sicce pump on that thing is a monster, much more power than other skimmers in that size/price range.

that pump will get over 1200lph of air with the included mesh wheel impellar (comes with both mesh and pinwheel) and you wont hear a thing! :)

seems like a great skimmer, the only issue is shipping since it's comming from canada but it should still be under 320 shipped to me which isn't bad at all

hopefully i'll have fundage for it in the next 3 weeks, sump is being plumbed and drilled first, then i have to work out the gravity feed for it since the 10g will be above my BC 29g, just need to see how the fittings are once it's done so i can figure out what pump i'll be using to drive water up to the 10g

Any knock off made for a 55g+ tank should work wonders for your little setup.

A buddy of mine in AZ had this corallife SS65 knock off that works insane, and it was only 19.99.

where did your buddy get that ss65 knock off?

I'm going to have to agree with koraltek, with your budget the 160 extreme will smoke anything else out there.I've gotten a chance to see one in person and to be honest I think the build quality rivals if not surpasses BM.

Tom

lol, well i already made up my mind on the MSX 160, just have to wait until funds are available, sump is going to be plumed into my BC 29g by wednesday hopefully, i'll be taking step by step pics of the sump install when i starting plumbing it

Archived