inTank Media Baskets

5 Gallon Lighting Question

Pooky125

Stupid question, that will hopefully only take a minute. I have a 5 gallon minibow that I'm thinking of resetting up as saltwater reef, but, my lighting I know, is not up to par. Currently, has just 1 13 watt 6500K pc. However, if I added another 7 watt pc until I could afford another 13 watt pc, would the corals do ok? Or should I just hold out?

I just put together a lighting solution today for my 5 gallon acrylic tank. Went to home depot and bought:

1 Circline Adapter System (converts circline bulb to screw in socket, comes with 24W 3000k bulb) $6.99

1 Circline Daylight Deluxe 8" 22W 6500k Bulb $6.78

1 Clamp Lamp 6 ft. cord with bulb socket (rated for 250W) $4.98

I ended up with a 6500k 8" diameter 22w lighting system for $20. I can always add some of the small screw type Coralife bulbs down the road for the actinics and to boost the overall wattage. The 8" diameter is a nice shape to work with.

If you can't afford a $20 13w PC I would be concerned about the rest of the maintenance down the road. There are many shrooms and polpys that can stand 13w of 50/50 PC for quite some time. I would hold out on the 7w PC for now. I would save up and get a 2x32 and retrofit that sucker.

Archived