Top Shelf Aquatics

Aiptasia removal from small rock

cblack

I have read Acoustic's Aiptasia thread and looked at the photo. I am pretty sure I have some aiptasia growing on a small piece of live rock in my nano (bought someone else's established nano and moved it). I don't have a large bore syringe or kalk (although I can buy some kalk at the LFS tonight). The small piece of live rock is about the size of my finger and doesn't have much else on it other than a single featherduster-looking white thing. It would be easy to remove this piece for aiptasia treatment. Given my situation, does anyone have any recommendations on how to handle this situation? I can post pics of what I think is the aiptasia later.

---

10g w/ 1.5" LS and about 10lbs of Bali LR

minijet 404 powerhead, HOB filter w/o sponge or carbon (aquaclear 200), 50W heater, 2x36W lighs

1 turbo? snail

3-4 blue legged hermits

xenia, torch, ricordea,mushrooms

~1.026 SG

it possible to get a better/clearer pic??

dont kill untill u know for sure that its aptasia!!

Peppermint shrimp are great for ridding aptasia.. and they can be good entertainment at times..:P

Thanks for the help. I posted some clearer pics over in the Identification Forum and people there are not saying it looks like aiptasia. I was just worried because it looked kind of like the image in Acoustic's FAQlet thread and it was growing quickly. I want some shrimp but will probably wait until mid October before adding one, and I think I want either a pistol, fire or sexy, rather than a peppermint.

I dont think it is either. You will knnow aiptasia. I like to get a needle and syringe and Kalk the SOBs to death. Mix a STRONG Kalk mix with a little water and suck it into the syringe. Squirt it into the base of the aiptasia and it will melt away in seconds. No Mo Aiptasia.

that doesnt look like aiptasia to me either. i had an out break of the stuff about 2-3 months ago. i got rid of them by injecting lemon juice, via needle, stright into the top of the aiptasia.

If you know anyone who is diabetic you can get one of their syringes.. Works for me. Well, with the exception of one that was in an extremely deep little whole.. For him I chewed a piece of bubble gum for a few hours until there was no scent or flavor left and plugged his hole with it.. Left it there for two weeks and no more aptasia..

Chele

so the best way to rid of aptasia is to kill them individually? i have a pretty bad outbreak of them, i see at least 6 of them right now on various different pieces of lr in my 10 gal. is there another way besides individual murder? i don't have any fish in my tank yet and i want to rid of all of these suckers before i put any corals or fish in my tank. i do have a bunch of snails as my clean-up crew though. is there any way to nuke those little bastards without harming my snails other than injection? if not... i guess it's time to shoot up!

thanks!

I have a nice piece of LR that has two aiptasia about 1 inch in size. I pulled the rock into a separate tank to minimize the spread of the beast.

When I poke it with the syrenge, it retracts into the hole before I can push in the poison. Now there are several junior aiptasia's growing on the rock. Any other thoughts on slaying the beast?

Archived