Top Shelf Aquatics

Equipment for a 20 gallon. Anyone??

ReefNewbie

Hey everyone I'm new to the board and wanna say this place is awesome for the nano tanker. Recently I have been searching around for somewhere to give me a rundown of what I would need for a 20gallon, but no one gave me an exact answer. What I'm looking to put into the tank is:

2 clowns

1 goby

softies, lps and sps

a shrimp or two (pistol definately for the goby)

various crabs, snails

LR and LS

Besides the tank and canopy/stand, could someone give me a rundown of what I would need for the tank? I plan on going to purchase a book about coral compatability tomorrow so I won't mess it up. I wanna try to get it right the first time even if it takes me forever. Thanks for any input!!

Possibly a protien skimmer (controversial on a nano)

I assume that by "canopy" you are including lights?

a heater

a thermometer

test kits (ammonia, nitrate, nitrate, ph, alkalinity, calcium)

a meddlin' stick, or a pokin' stick ;)

salt mix

mixing bucket

power heads/water pumps

a big bank account....!

V

a great coral book is CORALS a Quick Refernce Guide By JULIAN SPRUNG its great simplified by showing lots of pics and rateing every type of coral 4 ways

Lighting Needs

Water flow

Aggressiveness

Hardiness

and it runs on a 1-10 system which is great

a shows what food type each needs

but the books only focus is soft and hard coral not shrooms since they are considered disk anemones

Hey thanks for the info everyone. When I said canopy, I did in fact mean lights also. I noticed Vincent saying powerheads/waterpumps. Aren't they the same things? I was looking to purchase one powerhead for one current and use the HOB for a different current. Thanks again for any input!!

Wood skewers work good for the pokin stick. They also work good for taping things like toothbrush heads to. And don't skip on a cheap test kit. FasTest or Salifert. Home Depot 5 gallon buckets work good. Good algae scraper. Oh yeah, and a job that takes you away from the house. Or you'll spend way too much time on the tank. My home business took a major dive since I started a tank.

Hey Reefnewbie,

Here is a list of stuff on my 20 gallon:

2 power heads (maxi 900, mini 606)

Aquafuge

Tunze Osmolator (auto top off)

pH monitor

Temp monitor

175 Metal Halide lights

100 watt ebo jager heater

Salifert test kits

Mag-Float algae scraper

Refractometer

Other than that, I have 30 lbs of great kaelini rock from Dr Mac and Sons and sand from about 3 different sources.

I'd also recommend getting the tank drilled and putting an overflow and sump on it. Mine is undrilled and I wish I had drilled it for added water volume and to hide all my equipment. HTH and good luck with your purchases :)

Joon

Tat2dBrownDude

My 20long consist of:

20long (30x12x12) bottom drilled overflow, standpipe

2 126gph powerheads

some live rock

some live sand

2 65 watt 10000k pc's

1 55 watt acttinic pc

2 daylight 20 watt NO bulbs

1 actinic 20 watt NO bulb

10 gallon sump w/baffles